What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Last night's blues 45s:

Alabama Watson - Cost Time/My Baby Left Me (Bluestown)

McKinley James - Ain't Gonna Pick No More Cotton/Tuskegee Boogie (Macon)

These two are pretty late in the day for what they are: down-home blues singles directed at a regional African-American audience. They're both from around 1960. When I found the Bluestown single in a stack of 45s some years ago, I had no idea what it was, but there was no way I wasn't going to buy a record on the Bluestown label by someone named Alabama Watson. "Cost Time" is the producer's mishearing of "Hard Times" - Watson has a pretty thick accent.

Baby Tate - See What You Done Done/Late in the Evening (Trix)

Roy Dunn - She Cook Cornbread for Her Husband/Tired of Living a Bachelor (Trix)

John T. Samples - Daddy Double Do Love You EP (Documentary Arts)

Robert Curtis Smith - I Believe We Love Each Other/Don't Drive Me Away (Arhoolie)

All of these were directed, I guess, to the "collectors" market. Tate was from South Carolina, Dunn from Georgia, and Smith from the Mississippi Delta - he's one of my favorite bluesmen. The Samples EP is interesting - the only recordings of a Texas songster, very late in his life.

On to Chicago:

Snooky Pryor - Someone to Love Me/Judgement Day (Vee-Jay)

Elmore James - Dust My Broom/Every Day I Have the Blues (Enjoy)

Taildragger - My Head is Bald/So Ezee (Leric)

Howlin' Wolf - Howlin' Blues/I Better Go Now (Chess)

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night's blues 45s:

These two are pretty late in the day for what they are: down-home blues singles directed at a regional African-American audience. They're both from around 1960. When I found the Bluestown single in a stack of 45s some years ago, I had no idea what it was, but there was no way I wasn't going to buy a record on the Bluestown label by someone named Alabama Watson. "Cost Time" is the producer's mishearing of "Hard Times" - Watson has a pretty thick accent.

Robert Curtis Smith - I Believe We Love Each Other/Don't Drive Me Away (Arhoolie)

All of these were directed, I guess, to the "collectors" market. Tate was from South Carolina, Dunn from Georgia, and Smith from the Mississippi Delta - he's one of my favorite bluesmen. The Samples EP is interesting - the only recordings of a Texas songster, very late in his life.

On to Chicago:

Bluestown was a Boston based label (believe it or not) run by a guy nicknamed Skippy White who had a record store there - it may still be in business, for all I know.

Guitar Nubbit was another artist on the Bluestown label. His records are worth hearing too. Wolf Records issued a CD, Bluestown Story Volume 1, which contains all of Alabama Watson's and Guitar Nubbit's released sides plus some unreleased material. I don't see it listed on Amazon, so perhaps it's almost as rare as the 45's.

Trix was a label run by Pete Lowry, who did a lot of field recordings and who lived in my neck of the woods. Pete has since moved to Australia.

edit: According to Ron Bartolucci's liner notes to the Wolf CD, Alabama Watson was a customer in Skippy White's record store, mentioned that he played and sang blues, and ended up recording.

Also, according to the same liner notes, Guitar Nubbit (Alvin Hankerson) was a barber who had a shop close to Skippy White's. He used to play guitar in his shop and ended up recording.

The McKinley James 45 (I have a copy somewhere in my garage) was recorded in 1966 in Macon in your home state, Jeff.

Edited by paul secor

Last night's blues 45s:

On to Chicago:

Bluestown was a Boston based label (believe it or not) run by a guy nicknamed Skippy White who had a record store there - it may still be in business, for all I know.

Guitar Nubbit was another artist on the Bluestown label. His records are worth hearing too. Wolf Records issued a CD, Bluestown Story Volume 1, which contains all of Alabama Watson's and Guitar Nubbit's released sides plus some unreleased material. I don't see it listed on Amazon, so perhaps it's almost as rare as the 45's.

Trix was a label run by Pete Lowry, who did a lot of field recordings and who lived in my neck of the woods. Pete has since moved to Australia.

edit: According to Ron Bartolucci's liner notes to the Wolf CD, Alabama Watson was a customer in Skippy White's record store, mentioned that he played and sang blues, and ended up recording.

Also, according to the same liner notes, Guitar Nubbit (Alvin Hankerson) was a barber who had a shop close to Skippy White's. He used to play guitar in his shop and ended up recording.

The McKinley James 45 (I have a copy somewhere in my garage) was recorded in 1966 in Macon in your home state, Jeff.

Coo lummy!

Todays miscellaneous collection of vinyl includes the LP that I've had longest (since '65)

James%20Brown%20(1964)%20-%20Grits%20&%2

James Brown - Grits and soul - Smash (mono)

Dizzy+Gillespie+-+Bahiana+-+DOUBLE+LP-44

Dizzy Gillespie - Bahiana - Pablo (Polydor UK)

$T2eC16NHJGQE9noMZG5kBRNUVzRCKQ~~60_35.J

Lynn Hope - Tenderly - Imperial

sly-dunbar-sly-go-ville-20120314134404.j

Sly Dunbar - Sly-go-ville - Taxi (Island UK)

now

mm4LtcxpOKxsM24fdNthgkg.jpg

Donald Vails Choraleers - Yesterday, today, forever - Sound of Gospel

Fans of George Clinton's bands will wish to be informed that Gary Shider is on guitar. Very Detroit production by Armen Boladian, who owned Sound of Gospel, Eastbound & Westbound & Watts Club Mozambique. The Choraleers are a Detroit choir.

Here's track 1 side 1 - 'When we all get to heaven' with THE most splendid performance by a gospel coloratura soprano I've ever heard - Delores Taylor-Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK9OpoLfk7E

MG

Last night's blues 45s:

Wow- thanks for the info. I had always assumed that Bluestown was a little Southern label. I knew that Trix was Pete Lowry's label. I've got some of his CDs and LPs, but I think it's cool that he also issued blues singles.

Coo lummy!

I heard that, Bubba! (Which is, I think, the way we say the same thing down here.)

Edited by jeffcrom

Lots of vinyl this afternoon.

Aretha-I-Never-Loved-a-Man-the-Way-I-Lov

Aretha - I never loved a man the way I love you - Atlantic (Canada)

hqdefault.jpg

Georgia Mass Choir - Yes, he can - Savoy

Then a bunch of Fela

Fela%2BKuti%2B-%2BAuthority%2BStealing.j

Authority stealing - Kalakuta (orig, complete with pressing fault for which Fela apologised on the sleeve and Young African Pioneers newspaper)

170871860074.jpg

Gentleman - EMI Nigeria (Creole UK)

Fela%2BKuti%2B-%2BConfusion.jpg

Confusion - EMI Nigeria (EMI UK)

Fela-Kuti-Coffin-For-Head-of-State---Unk

Coffin for head of state - Kalakuta (French edition, but you can't tell which firm was responsible)

SE-Rogie-Palm-Wine-Guitar-523586.jpg

S E Rogie - Palm wine guitar music - Rogiphone (Cooking Vinyl UK)

MG