Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Twight+Front.jpg

Twilight Monologues (Lunatic). One piano solo each by Masahiko Sato, Aki Takase, Ichiko Hashimoto, and Takashi Kako, recorded in concert in Hiroshima in 1984. Lunatic 002, The Kiss by Steve Lacy, is an album I've really loved since finding a copy a few years ago. I had been curious about Lunatic 001, and found it today in an Atlanta record store. It's up to the level of The Kiss - excellent music, beautifully recorded, and pressed onto an absolutely noiseless platter of vinyl.

Edited by jeffcrom

Twight+Front.jpg

Twilight Monologues (Lunatic). One piano solo each by Masahiko Sato, Aki Takase, Ichiko Hashimoto, and Takashi Kako, recorded in concert in Hiroshima in 1984. Lunatic 002, The Kiss by Steve Lacy, is an album I've really loved since finding a copy a few years ago. I had been curious about Lunatic 001, and found it today in an Atlanta record store. It's up to the level of The Kiss - excellent music, beautifully recorded, and pressed onto an absolutely noiseless platter of vinyl.

Jeff, Atlanta must have some of the best record stores left on earth. You're a lucky guy.

Jeff, Atlanta must have some of the best record stores left on earth. You're a lucky guy.

Yes, it's kind of remarkable. I had a little cabin fever today after being under the weather for a few days, so I went to a store I hadn't visited for a couple of months - picked up the Lunatic album (for three dollars!) and a couple of things from the dollar bin, including this one:

612JibReW4L._SY300_.jpg

Harry James - Harry, Not Jesse: Harry James Plays Neal Hefti (Metro stereo). Okay, before anyone laughs - I got this one for nostalgic reasons: Hefti's "Sunday Morning," included here, was the first chart I played way back when I joined my high school jazz band at age 13. Our version was slightly simplified from the version heard here, but was substantially the same arrangement. The album is good for the most part - there are a couple of corny charts, but most are excellent. James is the main soloist, but Willie Smith was still in the band, and takes a couple of nice solos.

Edited by jeffcrom

I would be listening to these recent finds if the Denon DL304 cartridge I purchased supposedly new didn't have an offset cantilever and has been taken back to the distributor for a refund. Now have to find one in the US and wait about two weeks (if I'm lucky) before getting one sent and set up.

jos_a_new_sound_v2.jpg

Mono, DG, RVG looks vg+ vinyl, cover taped together, $29.00

jos_the_boss.jpg

Verve original, mint, never seen a turntable I do believe?

115845360.jpg

Still sealed! Too scared to open it in case it's warped.

I would be listening to these recent finds if the Denon DL304 cartridge I purchased supposedly new didn't have an offset cantilever and has been taken back to the distributor for a refund. Now have to find one in the US and wait about two weeks (if I'm lucky) before getting one sent and set up.

jos_the_boss.jpg

The Boss (recorded in my hometown) is fabulous. The Magnificent Goldberg thinks so, too.

abt to spin one of my weekend aquisitions:

mobley quartet (1st album + alt takes) //// mobley caddy (45 rpm audiophile editions)

ron steele- chicago guitar (ovation records)

Lee Konitz/Gerry Mulligan quartet 10" (pacific jazz)

stan kenton- this modern world 10'' (capitol, with rare capitol ten inch inner-sleeve)

melvin jackson- funky soul (Limelight)

lonnie smith- turning point (with benny maupin & julian priester, both who are playing together as members of a buster williams led group, next year. havent seen maupin in over a decade, am super stoked.)

charles lloyd- nirvana (in Mono....mono for promo only)

Edited by chewy

jos_the_boss.jpg

The Boss (recorded in my hometown) is fabulous. The Magnificent Goldberg thinks so, too.

Decided to spin this myself. Some parts are beyond fabulous; they're scary - like Smith's solo on the title tune.

I know this session well from my cd. Can't wait to hear it on vinyl.

Nathan Page and George Benson and Jimmy Smith is too much. Possibly my favourite JOS maybe.