Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

320531162391.jpg

John Tchicai/Andre Goudbeek Duo - Barefoot Dance (Marge)

I very nearly bought a copy of that yesterday and didn't. Did I make a mistake?

Hmmm... depends on how much it was. It's very good, if you're not turned off by the idea of alto sax (or bass clarinet) duets. And my copy sounds good; it's a very quiet pressing. It's not the Tchicai record I would take to a desert island, but it's good music and worth having.

I'm returning to this thread after having been away for too long! All LPs are stored away until we're moving at the end of the month, except three recent acquisitions, one of which is:

Joe Henderson 'In 'n Out' (EMI Japan Mono)

m1kClivzi-fDApD7F1o9rTA.jpg

Currently 'Punjab', which I think is one of the greatest tunes ever. And 'Serenity' and 'Short Story' on side 2 is not far behind!

Thanks, Leeway! There's a Hutcherson LP for every mood, really. :) I'm longing for my own copy(ies) of 'Total Eclipse' myself.

I'll try to give my copy of "Total Eclipse" a spin soon. Good suggestion!

A little more Hutcherson courtesy of McCoy Tyner:

McCoy+Tyner+-+Sama+Layuca+-+LP+RECORD-44

What a line-up: Tyner, Bobby Hutcherson, Gary Bartz, Azar Lawrence, John Stubblefield, Buster Williams, Billy Hart, Mtume, Guillermi Franco.

Hank+Mobley+-+A+Slice+Of+The+Top+-+LP+RE

Now playing:

Hank Mobley - A Slice of the Top (BN "rainbow"). What a wonderful album.

I traded in my rainbow LP when I got my hands on a copy of the Connoisseur LP. It sounds better. That weird phasing on the cymbals is not as bad and the stereo separation is better.

thank you for reminding me to pick that up. i completely believe you on the better SQ on the conn. HOWEVER......how is the vinyl quality on your connoisseur ed. ive found a couple of this era bn reissues, to be badly warped when i find em, rather thin vinyl. the other day i picked up that 'lost grooves' lp that was put out, (the one i found was just lp two, for $3), its cut by Wally Traugott and sounds good, although the vinyl seems a lil on the thin side still. it sounds very different to how rudy would of cut the record, this is very noticable espically on the organ tracks, i can really tell the difference.

320531162391.jpg

John Tchicai/Andre Goudbeek Duo - Barefoot Dance (Marge)

I very nearly bought a copy of that yesterday and didn't. Did I make a mistake?

Hmmm... depends on how much it was. It's very good, if you're not turned off by the idea of alto sax (or bass clarinet) duets. And my copy sounds good; it's a very quiet pressing. It's not the Tchicai record I would take to a desert island, but it's good music and worth having.

Thanks Jeff. Price was Ok and I'm happy with the duets but it was my ignorance of Goldbeek that made my hold back. Sounds like it might be worth reinvestigating