Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1261458467_206irr5.jpg

Elmo Hope Ensemble - Sounds From Rikers Island (Audio Fidelity AFLP 2119 mono)

Album with a total frequency range of 16 Hz to 25KHz.

Do I see John Gilmore's name on the sleeve? What's an album like that doing on Audio Fidelity? I had to ask...

MG

Great music, great fidelity and great muscians with a " Rikers Island " trauma.

1261458467_206irr5.jpg

Elmo Hope Ensemble - Sounds From Rikers Island (Audio Fidelity AFLP 2119 mono)

Album with a total frequency range of 16 Hz to 25KHz.

Do I see John Gilmore's name on the sleeve? What's an album like that doing on Audio Fidelity? I had to ask...

MG

Great music, great fidelity and great muscians with a " Rikers Island " trauma.

What I meant is that I always associated AFR with stuff like the Dukes of Dixieland and Louis Armstrong and others of that ilk.

MG

janeirabloom186642.jpg

Jane Ira Bloom - Slalom (Columbia)

What do you think of this one?

Good; not great. Where I'm coming from - I have exactly two Jane Ira Bloom albums, this one and a more recent one, plus scattered tracks here and there. She's someone I want to like more than I do, if that makes sense. I'm not sure what it is, but I can't get into her music that much. That being said, I've enjoyed this album since I bought it - more than anything else I've heard by her. I do think that her use of electronics is organic, and works better than most such attempts.

Next up: JJ Johnson - J Is For Jazz (Columbia). Nice mono 6 eye record I found in a used bin for $4. I like this Columbia stuff. I should pull out that Mosaic box again.

front.jpg

janeirabloom186642.jpg

Good; not great. Where I'm coming from - I have exactly two Jane Ira Bloom albums, this one and a more recent one, plus scattered tracks here and there. She's someone I want to like more than I do, if that makes sense. I'm not sure what it is, but I can't get into her music that much. That being said, I've enjoyed this album since I bought it - more than anything else I've heard by her. I do think that her use of electronics is organic, and works better than most such attempts.

I probably like this a bit more than you but you're right, it's not great. Now "The Red Quartets" on Arabesque, that's great. Never on vinyl though.

4191G2RZ5HL.jpg

Next up: JJ Johnson - J Is For Jazz (Columbia). Nice mono 6 eye record I found in a used bin for $4. I like this Columbia stuff. I should pull out that Mosaic box again.

front.jpg

janeirabloom186642.jpg

I probably like this a bit more than you but you're right, it's not great. Now "The Red Quartets" on Arabesque, that's great. Never on vinyl though.

4191G2RZ5HL.jpg

I have SLALOM as well, and I guess I would sum it up by saying, it is better than I expected, but not as good as I would have liked. Thanks for both your thoughts; seems there is something of a consensus on this one.

brown_mario_vistajapa_101b.jpg

A long way from ESP-Disk, but its peculiarities kept me listening. Avant muzak?

EDITED because I decided to give this album another listen. It still is a bit too sweet or soft for me, but I liked it more on 2nd listen, and there is a nice feeling of peace throughout the music. First rate musicians here too.

Edited by Leeway