Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

310275163788.jpg

Steve Lacy - Disposability (Italian Vik mono). This one, recorded in Rome in late 1965, is one of my very favorite Lacy albums. With Kent Carter and Aldo Romano, Lacy plays three Monk tunes, a Carla Bley piece, Cecil Taylor's "Tune 2," three improvised pieces, and his first recorded composition, "Barble." He seems to forgotten about that one - he later called "The Way" his "opus one." Anyway, it's a great one, and Lacy's only recording from 1965.

310275163788.jpg

Steve Lacy - Disposability (Italian Vik mono). This one, recorded in Rome in late 1965, is one of my very favorite Lacy albums. With Kent Carter and Aldo Romano, Lacy plays three Monk tunes, a Carla Bley piece, Cecil Taylor's "Tune 2," three improvised pieces, and his first recorded composition, "Barble." He seems to forgotten about that one - he later called "The Way" his "opus one." Anyway, it's a great one, and Lacy's only recording from 1965.

Yup that's a very nice LP. Years ago I bought a dubious vinyl "reissue" of this that sounded horrible...not long after bought a CD which sounded equally bad..until I finally found a mint original issue about 7 years ago and the sound on the original is amazing. No clipping in the saxophone and deep strong bass. A great session! I play this one more then some of his other post-prestige/new jazz 60s lps like "forest and the zoo" or "Sortie".

310275163788.jpg

Yup that's a very nice LP. Years ago I bought a dubious vinyl "reissue" of this that sounded horrible...not long after bought a CD which sounded equally bad..until I finally found a mint original issue about 7 years ago and the sound on the original is amazing. No clipping in the saxophone and deep strong bass. A great session! I play this one more then some of his other post-prestige/new jazz 60s lps like "forest and the zoo" or "Sortie".

The most recent reissue is the CD from the Free Factory::

MI0003078143.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Have either of you heard this particular reissue? And yes, that LP is awfully nice!

310275163788.jpg

Have either of you heard this particular reissue? And yes, that LP is awfully nice!

Yes, I have it, because I don't have Sortie in any other form. The sound on Disposability on this issue is just horrible. There are some sort of digital clicks through the music. It's not just my copy, others have confirmed their presence. If I ever find a copy of Sortie that I can afford, this CD is going into the trash.

No..I had a Spanish cd on disconforme...I think another thread commented that this combo pack cd didn't sound great either?

310275163788.jpg

Yes, I have it, because I don't have Sortie in any other form. The sound on Disposability on this issue is just horrible. There are some sort of digital clicks through the music. It's not just my copy, others have confirmed their presence. If I ever find a copy of Sortie that I can afford, this CD is going into the trash.

OK, that's what I thought too, but wanted to compare it against the vinyl, which I don't have. Thanks.

evans_gilev_gilevanso_101b.jpg

Gil Evans - Previously Released Recordings (Verve). Three cuts on this 1973 album are available on the CD issue of The Individualism of Gil Evans, but there are two quartet tracks which have only appeared here: Evans, bass trombonist Tony Studd, Paul Chambers, and Clifford Jarvis play Bird's "Cheryl" (mistitled "Blues in Orbit") and Al Cohn's "Ah Moore" (mistitled Isabel). Evans intended these to be studio "sketches," and after this album came out, asked that they never be issued again. They're very good, though, and I'm glad to have them.