• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bbb12.JPG

John Stevens' Folkus - The Life of Riley [Affinity]

I have that one from original release time. Nicely oddball.

Late to the party here as usual as only just purchased this week. I think it's an album with some lovely writing, especially for the brass. I'm less keen on but enjoy the guitar features. I detect little or any folk influence but they may be cloth ears.

It led me to this one which has similar brass voicings

1294230839_cover.jpg

Harris Eisenstadt - Woodblock prints [No Business]

Late to the party here as usual as only just purchased this week. I think it's an album with some lovely writing, especially for the brass. I'm less keen on but enjoy the guitar features. I detect little or any folk influence but they may be cloth ears.

Oh, I was late to the party too. I didn't know that much about Stevens (apart from the John Martyn connection and things I'd read) at the time. Remember seeing the 'Away' records but didn't buy them. Hoping someone will put those out soon.

Have very much enjoyed exploring Stevens in recent years.

R-646456-1142869418.jpeg

LOVE'S DREAM - Bobby Bradford. Trevor Watts, Kent Carter, John Stevens. Emanem LP. I think this is a terrific album. Another instance (so many) where you hear the Ornette influence, and I find it interesting how it bounces up agains the Brit free jazz approach.

Stanley Crouch did the linter notes (!). This sentence interested me: "All of which, in my opinion, makes Bradford the most significant trumpet player to appear since the death of Booker Little and a figure in 'our' era who is comparable to Fats Navarro during the bebop era..." This was in 1975. When did Crouch jump on the Wynton bandwagon?

Edited by Leeway

R-646456-1142869418.jpeg

LOVE'S DREAM - Bobby Bradford. Trevor Watts, Kent Carter, John Stevens. Emanem LP. I think this is a terrific album. Another instance (so many) where you hear the Ornette influence, and I find it interesting how it bounces up agains the Brit free jazz approach.

Stanley Crouch did the linter notes (!). This sentence interested me: "All of which, in my opinion, makes Bradford the most significant trumpet player to appear since the death of Booker Little and a figure in 'our' era who is comparable to Fats Navarro during the bebop era..." This was in 1975. When the Crouch jump on the Wynton bandwagon?

Crouch's liner notes appear on the CD reissue with the comment: "(As well as being a writer, Crouch was the also a drummer, who often played with Bradford on the Los Angeles free jazz scene. He subsequently moved to New York, gave up drumming, and became immersed in writing about more conservative areas of jazz.)" No further comment necessary.

Martin Davidson adds contemporary (2002) notes which shed more light on Bobby Bradford's 1973 sojourn in England.

R-646456-1142869418.jpeg

Stanley Crouch did the linter notes (!). This sentence interested me: "All of which, in my opinion, makes Bradford the most significant trumpet player to appear since the death of Booker Little and a figure in 'our' era who is comparable to Fats Navarro during the bebop era..." This was in 1975. When did Crouch jump on the Wynton bandwagon?

He's an odd duck. He wrote the notes to Jimmy Lyons' Give It Up on Soul Note (1985, in the eye of the Wynton hurricane) and praised him as the great post-Bird altoist. When he's not praising Lyons via Bird, he's talking a blanket of shit on free jazz and ignores the other musicians completely.

jones_elvin_coalition_101b.jpg

Elvin Jones - Coalition (BN Liberty). My first time hearing this in many years. I once had it on 8-track tape (!); I just found a near-mint copy. Even better than I remembered.

That must have been around the time that Liberty put out their releases on 8-track or casette, as well as vinyl - still got a few Lee Morgans on cassette from that era (Sixth Sense and Caramba). Hard plastic casette boxes with pasted covers - very 1970s.

116402640.jpg

Keith Tippett, Michel Pilz, Paul Rogers, Jean-Noel Cognard. Quartet and various combinations over 4 LPs on Bloc Thyristors

today's arrival. First LP sounding great

Thanks for noting this. I got a copy from Soundohm as per your suggestion. Arrived very promptly. Music here seems very fine. I do like bass clarinet. Plenty of listening to had here. Packaging of this set is deluxe!