What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

25623_image0_20100428_auto.jpg

James Blood Ulmer - Are You Glad to be In America (Artists House). Inspired by Clunky's spin of the Rough Trade version. The horns sound just fine here.

What kind of music is this? Good music.

Later, after the whole thing: I should have said that the horns sound just fine in an 80s studio kind of way - they are indeed mixed kind of "vaguely," although presumably more clearly than on the Rough Trade release.

For those interested: David Murray plays on every track; Oliver Lake is on all tracks except "Are You Glad to be in America," "Pressure," "Revelation March," and "Interview." Olu Dara only plays on "See Through," "TV Blues," and "Jazz is the Teacher (Funk is the Preacher)."

And that last-mentioned tune is kind of amazing.

James-Blood-Ulmer-Are-You-Glad-To-B-3175

James "Blood" Ulmer---------Are you glad to be in America?---------(Rough Trade)

Prime Time like. Olu Dara, David Murray and the sublime Oliver Lake are playing but so far back in the mix you'd never know it was them. This has some interesting moments. Not sure if this is punk/funk or what. Deserves repeated listens.

I like that one, too, but I've got the Artists House reissue, and never noticed any issues with the "presence" of the horns. Either it was remixed or I just never noticed.

As I recall it has been remixed ( possibly more than once). The horns on the RT issue provide background sounds only

Yes, I have the DIW cd. Around this time Ulmer played a couple of concerts in London. Notably a gig at the Roundhouse with a quartet featuring Murray. Terrific stuff. Like that Artists House jacket.

Heard this group 79/80 in New York and they floored me,

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

revolutiona_revolutio_102b.jpg

Revolutionary Ensemble-------Inner City

followed by

!B0wBcBQ!2k~$(KGrHqIOKi!E)MmUjknMBMbqftJ

Cover features bad jumpers, bad shirts and beards. Music confounds resultant expectations as its neither dated nor got yesterday's soup in it. I don't usually find Ray Anderson all that an individual stylist but he fits well here. I would prefer a bit more attack but this works well enough.

18c1d1e4204a361cbe012599da4793ee.jpg

Question - if we are to deny Quincy Jones any real credit for anything good with his name on it, to whom shall we attribute such trite uninspired dreck as the arrangements found here?

I really want to know, because Vaughan herself is in incredible form here - but the arrangements nullify all of that. and I'm pretty big on listening past bad production choices. Can't do it here, Boo!

Lester%2BBowie%2527s%2BBrass%2BFantasy%2

I love Brass Fantasy. It's pop music, it really is. Exceptional pop music by one of the grandest thinkers of our time, RIP.

087113.jpg

Wadada Leo Smith - Divine Love (ECM). There's a lot of controversy here about the "ECM sound." All I'll say tonight is that I love how this record sounds.

And dinner with Dwight Andrews in a couple of weeks, apparently. I'll try not to embarrass myself.

Edited by jeffcrom

I love the ECM sound! Sure the first few releases were more "experimental" but it's still a very credible label in my book to this day. That Leo Smith album is fantastic. Right now I am listening to "waves" by Terje Rypdal on German vinyl. Earlier was listening to my CD of it but right now the vinyl is sounding much better...I guess it helps that I have a nice little tube preamp for my turntable!

A lot of early ECMs sound totally different - maybe Eicher hadn't perfected the reverb quotient, or maybe it was because he didn't record all of them at that point. They are often a lot rawer than stuff from the mid-80s onward. Also the US pressings/masterings are rolled off, or seem to be - the German issues are not.

Choice didn't get a lot of distribution back in the day, at least not where I was. But they had a good catalog, small label, good offerings. The first Giuffre album, the Mosquitoes thing, got a 5-star review in Down Beat, might have even been offered as a subscription premium, but i never saw it in a store, not even in a Peaches. Finally found it used, in the 90s. The second one, I didn't even know about it until it got reissued on CD!