What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Doug Sertl - Uptown Express (Palo Alto Jazz). I saw Nick Brignola's name on the cover and I grabbed it. Unfortunately, the recording is wonky in places. Some of the soloists sound off mic, it has the dreaded bumblebee bass and the piano sounds like an upright model in the corner of a bar. The music is rather tame. Surprisingly with this killer band, Sertl holds his own fairly well, putting some of the better solos.

099114.jpg

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stan-Tracey-Live-In-London-471741.jpg

LIVE IN LONDON - Sal Nistico/Stan Tracey Quintet: Tracey (p), Art Themen (ts, ss), Roy Babbington (b), Clark Tracey (d). Steam LP.

A nice, somewhat disregarded date; the two tenors play off each other well. Isn't Babbington a perfect onomatopoeia name for a bassist?

miles-davis-molester-part-i-columbia.jpgo24.jpg

My wife is out of town, and as I often do when I'm a temporary bachelor, I have broken out the 45s. I won't list everything I played tonight, but here are some highlights:

Miles Davis - Molester, parts 1 & 2 (Columbia stereo). This is an early, alternate mix of "Black Satin" from On the Corner.

Little Jeno Tucker - It Ain't No Use/Don't Look Now, But I've Got the Blues (Rooster Blues). This is Little Jeno's only record, recorded in Clarksdale, Mississippi around 1990 or so. His brother-in-law Big Jack Johnson is on guitar. This record means a lot to me personally. Little Jeno, who died in 2000, was revered in the Clarksdale area, I think both for his talent and because he was such a nice guy. I met him about five years before this death in Stackhouse Records in Clarksdale. He was very modest and seemed pleased that I knew and owned his record. He didn't want to talk about himself, but he went on at great length about his teenage son - he was very proud of him, and called him a gentleman. I'll always remember our conversation, and think about him every time I play this record.

Johnny Woods - Long Haired Doney/Three O'Clock in the Morning (Oblivion). A rare one by the great Mississippi harp player, from 1972. Woods and Fred McDowell had a near-telepathic musical connection, but McDowell's only contribution to this solo record is to say, "Go on, boy!" and chuckle. And that's his Pontiac Mr. Woods is standing in front of.

MI0002053693.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

A very nice album on Improvising Artists. Played it through twice and it builds.

Gilmore is fine here, but I'm mostly convinced that he did his best work with Sun Ra. Anyone suggest outstanding Gilmore performances outside of the Ra canon?

Bill Elgart subs for Motian on a couple of tracks here. I know he is related to Les and Larry Elgart but not how. Bill seems to have had a mostly avant career in Europe, but I haven't noticed him spoken of much. Any fans of his, or any suggestions for stand-out performances?

miles-davis-molester-part-i-columbia.jpgo24.jpg

My wife is out of town, and as I often do when I'm a temporary bachelor, I have broken out the 45s. I won't list everything I played tonight, but here are some highlights:

Miles Davis - Molester, parts 1 & 2 (Columbia stereo). This is an early, alternate mix of "Black Satin" from On the Corner.

Little Jeno Tucker - It Ain't No Use/Don't Look Now, But I've Got the Blues (Rooster Blues). This is Little Jeno's only record, recorded in Clarksdale, Mississippi around 1990 or so. His brother-in-law Big Jack Johnson is on guitar. This record means a lot to me personally. Little Jeno, who died in 2000, was revered in the Clarksdale area, I think both for his talent and because he was such a nice guy. I met him about five years before this death in Stackhouse Records in Clarksdale. He was very modest and seemed pleased that I knew and owned his record. He didn't want to talk about himself, but he went on at great length about his teenage son - he was very proud of him, and called him a gentleman. I'll always remember our conversation, and think about him every time I play this record.

Johnny Woods - Long Haired Doney/Three O'Clock in the Morning (Oblivion). A rare one by the great Mississippi harp player, from 1972. Woods and Fred McDowell had a near-telepathic musical connection, but McDowell's only contribution to this solo record is to say, "Go on, boy!" and chuckle. And that's his Pontiac Mr. Woods is standing in front of.

I have a copy of that Johnny Woods 45 stored in the garage. I'll have to look for it. The Rounder (ex-Revival) Fred McDowell LP that he plays on is very good also.