What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

220px-Contours_(album).jpg

Sam Rivers -------- Contours-------(BN NYC) mono

Every bit as good as FSS. This NYC mono is earless which I think is standard for this title. Sounding very strong.

I think I prefer it to FSS. Mine's a Liberty again.... ' NYC Mono' envy could be a new feature of this thread :)

Remember , earless NYCs are really just early Libertys.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NV_vinylfront-600x600.jpg

New Vocabulary, (System Dialing). Ornette Coleman – Alto Saxophone, Jordan McLean – Trumpet & Electronics, Amir Ziv – Drums, Adam Holzman – piano.

My copy has blank labels, so you have to squint and look at the runout groove to figure out which side is which. That's annoying, but the record itself actually sounds great. Great music, too. I'm still curious about why this release took five years to come out and why it had such an under-the-radar release. Whatever the case is, I'm glad it did come out.

Really? Can't recall. But I'm on my second glass of Hopworks IPA and currently spinning:

Barre Phillips "journal violone II" (ECM, Germany)

Next up:

Kenny Wheeler "around 6" (ECM, Germany). Started many years ago with an American pressing, got a Japanese pressing years later, and now just got this new/sealed dead stock German copy for a great price recently. Will be curious to compare the sonics to my Japanese issue...

nah, got it from a shop in France a while back.

It was more expensive than the one that just sold. We bantered about this some time ago I thought!

Original copies of "Free jazz" are actually not that difficult to find (for a mid 60s European free jazz record that is). I wonder about variations in the size of the pressings of some of these avant garde titles on disques Mouloudji: I've seen ten times more "Free jazz" than "Le nouveau jazz". The same goes for two André Almuro titles from the same period: "Le condamné à mort" versus "Avec" (but that can probably be explained by the fact that the first one was a collaboration with the label boss himself...).

On my turntable now: Jimmy Giuffre 3 "Music for people, birds, butterflies & mosquitoes" on Choice. Silly title and not a very attractive cover, but the music is fine.

Yeah, I've got both - Free Jazz comes up a fair amount, although usually in less than stellar condition. The vinyl on mine is nice, the thin matte cover has some wear. I was told by Tusques there were no more than 500 of each, but who knows what the real count is. I guess FT wasn't paid for either one. Never had the Almuro titles or the Colette Magny on Mouloudji...

111000821744.jpg

I should probably post this in the 78 thread, but it somehow seems relevant to the vinyl-in-general thread. Tonight I'm playing three longish-playing microgroove 78s on the Audiophile label, from the 1950s:

Harry Blons - Harry Blons' Dixieland Band

Doc Evans - Traditional Jazz, Vol. 2

Doc Evans - Traditional Jazz, Vol. 4

I couldn't find pictures of these specific records individually, but they look like those in the picture above.

I've had these records for awhile, but I'm hearing them for the first time tonight as they were meant to sound. I'm spinning them on my new Rek-O-Kut turntable, which finally gives me the flexibility I've been wanting - continuously variable speeds, so that I can play LPs, 45s, and 78s with stereo or mono LP cartridges or a 78 cartridge with different sized styli. This will replace my former LP and 78 turntables.

It will take some experimentation to work all this out, but I'm excited by the prospect of getting the optimal sound for every record on my shelves. I can finally play my one 19th-century record, a disc by saxophonist Eugene Moermanns on the Berliner label, at the right speed (around 71 RPM). I'll be able to play vertically-cut 78s, like Edisons. And I even have some stereo 78s (Bryan Wright playing Bix Beiderbecke's Modern Piano Suite, recorded in 2009) that I'll finally be able to play in stereo. Jeffery's a happy boy tonight.

Anyway, these Audiophile 78s sound wonderful. Ewing Nunn was a recording genius. He thought that his microgroove 78s had the best sound of any records, but his 33 RPM LPs sound pretty great, too.

And I hate the name "Rek-O-Kut," but what a great table for my needs.

Edited by jeffcrom