• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What was the theory behind a microgroove 78 being an improvement?

Speed. All things being equal, the faster a disc spins, the better it will sound, hence the audiophile 45 RPM reissues of Blue Note albums. The reason old 78s don't give audiophile sound is that they are pressed from noisy material, which is all they had at the time. Nunn's 12" vinyl microgroove 78s sound wonderful, but weren't very practical - I didn't time them, but they seem to have about eight minutes of music per side, and many folks didn't have have a 78 player with a microgroove stylus. Heck, I didn't until today.

Imagine the sonics if non-microgroove vinyl 78s had become the medium of choice for singles instead of 45s...then again, imagine if Joe DiMaggio had played tenor with Count Basie instead of Buddy Tate? No sense in imagining either one, right?

Yet...market driving format drive me crazy sometimes, but I guess that's just how stuff works. Being right trumped by guessing right.

Joe Henderson----------Mode for Joe----------(BN NYC) mono

I'd forgotten how good this session was. It's not JH's strongest BN but more than decent.

Next........

Wayne Shorter--------Night Dreamer--------(BN NYC) mono

Similar feelings to the Henderson above. For a long time I didn't rate this much compared to what was to come on BN. Lee Morgan's presence might suggest a Messengers performance but it sounds more advance (to my unsophisticated ears). Juju and SNE remain ahead but thus can't be too far behind, along with a bunch of others.

EQT-+Front.jpg

Eric Quincy Tate - Drinking Man's Friend (Capricorn). 1972 Southern blues/rock from my youth. Since Eric Quincy Tate is unlikely to be familiar to many folks here, I'll point out that it's a band, not a person. I spent a summer in Macon, Georgia in 1974, and put many quarters into the jukebox to play "Brown Sugar" (not the Rolling Stones song) from this album.

Edited by jeffcrom

Teo Macero with the Prestige Jazz Quartet---------Teo--------(Esquire)

Pretty cool outing that's ok but not exactly electrifying. Macero does Konitz but Konitz does Konitz better -as it were. Mal Waldron is present but the cool setting means his usual grittiness is not to the fore. It's a moody old album but it does have some charm. Limited recommendation from me.