• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David Mack 'New Directions' (Columbia Lansdowne, mono)

Q9N4O1M.jpg

Didn't know anyone else here knew that album. I have the U.S. version on Serenus, with this cover:

$T2eC16N,!ykE9s7tvVRcBQ8fR,QTe!~~60_58.J

Despite Max Harrison's high praise for this album, the music more interesting than great, I think. But I haven't spun it for awhile; I'll do that soon.

Spun this tonight. Yep, still more interesting than compelling. Shake Keane's playing is heroic, though.

Olympia Brass Band - Mardi Gras '77 (OBB). This is a three-tune, seven-inch 33 RPM EP. Discographical info is scarce, but I hear Milton Batiste on trumpet and vocals, Harold Dejan on alto, two hot trombonists, Emanuel Paul and (I think) David Grillier on tenors, two tubas (Allen Jaffe is one, I think), snare drums, bass drum, and percussion. Wonderful stuff.

freddie-hubbard-mistral-20111231073934.j

definitely my #2 favorite Freddie album behind Goin' Up. "Sunshine Lady" should of been a huge single, i have no idea what happened. liberty must of just sat on this. art pepper on sax.

-just got this as japan 1st pressing Eastworld Toshiba EMI, to replace my Liberty

Edited by chewy

Tricky-Lofton--Carmell-J-Brass-Bag-58992

dot.gif

TRICKY LOFTON & CARMELL JONES - Brass Bag (1962 Dutch mono 8-track LP )

again, this is so much better than the pac jazz orig. ive not found too many uk or european versions like this but i have a few and theyre all amazing. i have this esquire or something pressing of Paul Chambers delegation from the east on JazzWest-- it sounds better most originals. its all in the quality of the vinyl, and the covers look way better too as well. i have lots of these in rock/pop, but not in jazz. the only drawback is they are not as indestructible like the US versions, i cant just plop them in one of my many record piles. they vinyl is fragile as glass on some of them, i have them in a special area

Chewy, I agree on your opinion.

I have a lot of Fontana`s ( just Jazz records ) all are superb sounding.

Marc Levin Ensemble - Songs Dances and Prayers [sweet Dragon]

Love the inserts

well you've got to treat yourself occasionally, haven't you......?

That's a good one.

Yeah, certainly seems to be on the first couple of listens. Enjoying the use of sitar, cellos and vocals. Makes me want to check out more Jay Clayton

A couple of Xanadu titles I was considering selling were spun this evening

Charles McPherson---- Free Bop!

A truly dire track opens side2 . Latinised schmaltz even Lou Levy can't revive . Otherwise pretty solid and enjoyable . Hmmm.... keep?

Dolo Coker------All Alone

A sure one to sell. Cutout sleeve, ring wear, edge wear and dusty vinyl. Quick clean. Played both sides- really lovely. No way is this going .

Not doing so well in my quest to clear a little shelf space.

Marc Levin Ensemble - Songs Dances and Prayers [sweet Dragon]

Love the inserts

well you've got to treat yourself occasionally, haven't you......?

That's a good one.

Yeah, certainly seems to be on the first couple of listens. Enjoying the use of sitar, cellos and vocals. Makes me want to check out more Jay Clayton

It's good. I have Bill Dixon's copy, which has a lengthy dedication from Marc to Bill. Glad it's in my collection.

In my defense I have the Roscoe CECMA with identical concert art.

I have a few CECMA records in the racks. The Ragin is one I'd like to hear.

The Ragin's very good

Jimmy Giuffre------------Mosquito Dance---------(Choice)

I'd forgotten just how good this 2LP set was (from 1972 & 1975)

I've got two single LPs of that music.Tremendous and oft overlooked I think