• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

George Coleman Octet 'Big George' (Affinity). Vividly remember seeing these guys playing many of these selections. Good times !

Me too Bob. Roundhouse Camden Town. Those were the days Ronnie Scott's in my case John. Certainly recall Danny Moore, Frank Strozier and Mario Riviera in the lineup. That gig of yours must have been part of the late lamented Camden Festival.

Edited by sidewinder

91I2DDNqmHL._SX425_.jpg

Bunky Green - Playin' for Keeps (Cadet mono)

I'm trying to recall what kind of a mouthpiece came with that kind of a cover, not a Straython, no room for the sliding wedge...anyway, it looks like a gun, playing for keeps indeed, to what degree to you suspect the intentionality of that?

Heavy_Sounds.jpg

Elvin Jones/Richard Davis-------Heavy Sounds-------(Impulse)

nothing revolutionary here, more backward looking than Elvin's BN output but still a very decent session.

vzbs_cover.jpg

Slide Hampton & Václav Zahradník Big Band ---------– B&S---------(Supraphon)

Killer line up doesn't disappoint , recorded 1971

Earlier

Billy Bang -------Rainbow Gladiator-----(Soul Note)

Good band. Rosewomen and Chalres Tyler are excellent. The former is pretty much an unknown quantity to me.

Now

Andrew Hill---------------Judgment-----------(BN) NYC mono

Nothing new to say that hasn't been said before. The quality of Hill's first four BNs are astonishing given how closely together they were recorded (November 1963 to March '64)

There's a good Michelle Rosewoman leader date on Soul Note, 'The Source' with Baikida Carroll and Pheeroan Ak Laff. Mind you I've not listened to it in ages

John Stevens - Spontaneous Music Ensemble [Polydor]

aka Oliv.

I have Oliv (CD) winging its way from Martin Davidson along with Monoceros. I have high expectations for both,!

There's a good Michelle Rosewoman leader date on Soul Note, 'The Source' with Baikida Carroll and Pheeroan Ak Laff. Mind you I've not listened to it in ages

John Stevens - Spontaneous Music Ensemble [Polydor]

aka Oliv.

I have Oliv (CD) winging its way from Martin Davidson along with Monoceros. I have high expectations for both,!

I don't think you'll be disappointed by Oliv. It's an extraordinary album.

I'm torn as I love the LP version so much I'm unsure whether the extras on the CD will somehow spoil things. I know, I can't help it......

Monoceros, I must buy however

Nothing is spoilt on the CD issue. The original LP presentation still stands, and the extra tracks are very cool.

Thanks. I think 'spoil' was my wrong choice really. There are some albums which just seem complete as they are on two sides of vinyl. The addition of extra music changes the listening experience inevitably. More isn't always better but I'll certainly take note that the extra material is worth hearing and will order accordingly

Edited by mjazzg

Michelle Rosewoman - The Source [soul Note]

This one hasn't survived the current trimming down of my collection. She's a fine player, but this set never really catches fire and things aren't helped by the thin, boxy recording and AkLaff's not very inspired drumming. I much prefer Bang's "Rainbow Gladiator".

Just played it a second time. Keeper for me.

Edited by mjazzg