• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bud Freeman --------and his Summa Cum Laude trio------(Dot)

Modern sounding Bud solos plenty support by Mousey Alexander (drums) and Bob Hammer (piano). Hammer whose name I'm not familiar with sounds good. Modern swing the kind of thing Scott Hamilton has been playing for several decades. Whilst there's clearly no bebop here it does sound 'modern' to my ears. Sits nicely along side Bud's "Something tender" (UA) which I'll play next. I prefer the latter but the Dot date doesn't deserve it's obscurity.

Bud Freeman --------and his Summa Cum Laude trio------(Dot)

Modern sounding Bud solos plenty support by Mousey Alexander (drums) and Bob Hammer (piano). Hammer whose name I'm not familiar with sounds good. Modern swing the kind of thing Scott Hamilton has been playing for several decades. Whilst there's clearly no bebop here it does sound 'modern' to my ears. Sits nicely along side Bud's "Something tender" (UA) which I'll play next. I prefer the latter but the Dot date doesn't deserve it's obscurity.

Wonderful record.

Michelle Rosewoman - The Source [soul Note]

This one hasn't survived the current trimming down of my collection. She's a fine player, but this set never really catches fire and things aren't helped by the thin, boxy recording and AkLaff's not very inspired drumming. I much prefer Bang's "Rainbow Gladiator".

Just played it a second time. Keeper for me.

My opinion sounds a bit harsher than it was meant to be. After all, I've had and enjoyed this for years. But I won't miss it when it's gone. That's a feeling I've got with quite a few Soul Note/Black Saint titles from the 1980s. Probably I simply haven't been discriminating enough in buying them.

Last night's playlist:

Art Ensemble of Chicago "People in sorrow" (Pathé-Marconi) (Gorgeous.)

Cecil Taylor "Solo" (Trio Japan) (I've played this one LOUD.)

Stan Getz Quartet "The Steamer" (HMV UK) (Lights and volume turned down.)

I have that Ganelin Trio somewhere. I must dig it out

keeping with Strata East here.

Cecil McBee - Mutima

in the recent Wire McBee interview it mentions that the first track is McBee bowing across two amplified basses and manipulating the feedback from the amps. It is indeed an astonishing performance