• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sun Ra "heliocentric worlds vol.1" (ESP, mono textured paste on cover). One of the first sun ra records I ever bought...around 1991 if memory serves correctly. Holds up as one of my favorite Sun Ra albums...at least in the top 5.

Certainly my first and favourite Sun Ra.

James Newton/Anthony Davis - Crystal Texts [Moers Music]

the price sticker says "totally obscure late 70s free jazz" however I'm tempted to steal Clunky's "Elegant session" as a more accurate description

Edited by mjazzg

Really mixed listening session this evening after a brief interlude of playing 78s back to vinyl.

SME--------So what do you think------(Tangent)

This seems to be the most coherent SME session I've heard. Kenny Wheeler , great but it's probably Derek Bailey who creates added value.

Earlier

Yusef Lateef --------A flat, G flat and C------(Impulse stereo)

Gunter Hampel and his Galaxie Dream Band, Celebrations (Birth). 2 LP set of the octet version of the band. Nice album and I also like the fact I don't have to colour in the cover on this one.

celebrationsetocbh5kim.jpg

cover painting by Gunter Hampel

Thanks for posting the cover. Listening to this again--wonderful album.

Davies/Newton/Wadud - I've Known Rivers [Gramavision]

every time i play this I want to enjoy it more than I do. I always find it a bit studied and dry

James Newton - Paseo Del Mar [india Navigation]

much more like it. Vital and challenging. Same line up as above, except add Philip Wilson, although he doesn't play on all tracks. Maybe it's the Newton compositions that make the difference

Steve Lacy --------The Forrest and The Zoo--------(Fontana UK)

So very good. Anyone know the story how this comes to be recorded in Buenos Aires with participants from 3 other continents?

An account put together from various Lacy interviews:

The musicians were regular Lacy associates of the time, based in Rome. Enrico Rava's wife was from Argentina, and booked them a series of concerts at a theater in Buenos Aires. They bought one-way tickets, but hardly made any money in Argentina, and couldn't afford to get home for eight or nine months.

"That was the wrong group at the wrong time in the wrong place playing the wrong kind of music...." He said that they did build up a small following over the months, but they were really glad to get out of Argentina.

Edited by jeffcrom

So very good. Anyone know the story how this comes to be recorded in Buenos Aires with participants from 3 other continents?

The musicians were regular Lacy associates of the time, based in Rome. Enrico Rava's wife was from Argentina, and booked them a series of concerts at a theater in Buenos Aires. They bought one-way tickets, but hardly made any money in Argentina, and couldn't afford to get home for eight or nine months.

"That was the wrong group at the wrong time in the wrong place playing the wrong kind of music...." He said that they did build up a small following over the months, but they were really glad to get out of Argentina.

Thanks for unearthing those quotes. Seems extraordinary that they achieved excellent and well recorded session under those circumstances.

Thanks for unearthing those quotes. Seems extraordinary that they achieved excellent and well recorded session under those circumstances.

That also explains for me why some early Rava leader sessions are recorded in Argentina. Thanks Jeffcrom

That also explains for me why some early Rava leader sessions are recorded in Argentina. Thanks Jeffcrom

Lacy was indeed based in Italy at that time ("Disposability", "Sortie", "Nuovi Sentimenti"...), but his regular associates would have been Kent Carter and Aldo Romano, so I'm still wondering how he ended up with Dyani and Moholo in South America.

Edited by corto maltese

Lacy was indeed based in Italy at that time ("Disposability", "Sortie", "Nuovi Sentimenti"...), but his regular associates would have been Kent Carter and Aldo Romano, so I'm still wondering how he ended up with Dyani and Moholo in South America.

Yeah, I wasn't really accurate about Dyani and Moholo, was I? They were based in London at time, I think. But a quick look at 25 Years of Fish Horn Recording (H.L. Lindenmaier's Lacy discography) shows that this group did some playing together before the trip to Argentina. In March, 1966 they played the San Remo Jazz Festival, and apparently made an unreleased album, Zyatsha, in London. Wouldn't it be great if that turned up?

Romano was mostly based in Paris then, no? Seems like Carter was bouncing between continental Europe and the States at the time.

I'm sure some of this is in Conversations but I don't have it handy. I think the upshot is that the rhythm section left Lacy's band to play with others. Part of me recalls hearing that they were going to come to NY after Argentina, and Dyani and Moholo were going to hook up with Albert Ayler (not sure if true - musicianly apocrypha).

Yeah, I wasn't really accurate about Dyani and Moholo, was I? They were based in London at time, I think. But a quick look at 25 Years of Fish Horn Recording (H.L. Lindenmaier's Lacy discography) shows that this group did some playing together before the trip to Argentina. In March, 1966 they played the San Remo Jazz Festival, and apparently made an unreleased album, Zyatsha, in London. Wouldn't it be great if that turned up?

Together with the extra tracks by the "Disposibility" trio (with Crater and Romano) of which, according to legend, a 10" test pressing exists...

Romano was mostly based in Paris then, no? Seems like Carter was bouncing between continental Europe and the States at the time.

I'm sure some of this is in Conversations but I don't have it handy. I think the upshot is that the rhythm section left Lacy's band to play with others. Part of me recalls hearing that they were going to come to NY after Argentina, and Dyani and Moholo were going to hook up with Albert Ayler (not sure if true - musicianly apocrypha).

Both Carter and Romano continued to play on and off with Lacy, so maybe they just didn't fancy the South American expedition?