Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dark_to_Themselves.jpg

Cecil Taylor Unit-------Dark unto themselves-------(Enja)

Accidentally picked up the Enja when I already had the Inner City ( different cover) . I prefer the Enja- sounds better. I'll be keeping the Enja despite my copy having a huge London Weekend Television Music Services sticker on the front left. Signed out for use just once, in April 1989. I wonder if the LWT viewers did in the end experience the seismic shock that was the Cecil Taylor Unit. Some how I can't see it.

Dark_to_Themselves.jpg

Cecil Taylor Unit-------Dark unto themselves-------(Enja)

Accidentally picked up the Enja when I already had the Inner City ( different cover) . I prefer the Enja- sounds better. I'll be keeping the Enja despite my copy having a huge London Weekend Television Music Services sticker on the front left. Signed out for use just once, in April 1989. I wonder if the LWT viewers did in the end experience the seismic shock that was the Cecil Taylor Unit. Some how I can't see it.

The CD version has an extra 12 minutes of music that was edited out of the LP, probably for time constraints. I haven't compared the two for sound quality.

Kenny Dorham 'Jazz Contemporary' (Time DG mono)

K10001003.jpg

This has the better cover but "Showboat" also on Time, is the better album. "Jazz Contemporary" is decent enough but I play "Showboat" much more frequently. I've an Oriole pressing of the latter, which is really not a great pressing. Just a bit fuzzy and unfocused.

Kenny Dorham 'Jazz Contemporary' (Time DG mono)

K10001003.jpg

This has the better cover but "Showboat" also on Time, is the better album. "Jazz Contemporary" is decent enough but I play "Showboat" much more frequently. I've an Oriole pressing of the latter, which is really not a great pressing. Just a bit fuzzy and unfocused.

Used to have a fairly crackly copy of Jazz Contemporary - I couldn't get into it but probably couldn't get past the surface noise either. If I could find cheap clean copies of both, I'd give 'em a shot.

Picked it up quite inexpensively in Tokyo. By Japanese standards it is probably a bit inferior as there is evidence of a bit of minor damp on the cover and a bit of surface noise but it looks and sounds fine to me. Less than 20 bucks !

Edited by sidewinder

Andrew Hill "Point of Departure" (Blue Note, NY USA stereo w/ "ear") After dealing with a rather dull sounding Japanese Toshiba LP for over 20 years it's a great joy to finally get this original stereo USA issue with plastylite mark in NM condition for a reasonable price (around $100). Sounds remarkable...

Same version I've got !

Waiting_(Bobby_Hutcherson_album).jpg

Blue Note blue label.