What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Dexter Gordon ---------Our Man in Paris -----------(BN) Music Matters 33

This is still probably my favourite Dexter album. It was my first as I recall. This new edition is up to the usual MM standards and sounds fantastic. I'll be keeping the CD for the bonus track which i love as much as the rest of the album.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bennie Green--------Swings the blues-------(MVM)

1959 date on the cheapest of budget labels. Pressing makes most Jazzlands seem pristine. None the less, strong playing by Bennie, Jimmy Forrest and Sonny Clark. None of the band are credited on the label/cover.

Southland_Yonder_FrontBlue.jpg

Earlier today:

Dixieland Way Down Yonder in New Orleans (GHB). Okay, this looks grim, but the music is great. It was originally a 10" album by New Orleans trombonist Jack Delaney on the Southland label. By the time it got reissued on GHB (Jazzology's "New Orleans" label before they aquired American Music), it was given a new cover with Pete Fountain's name and picture. And while the GHB is a 12" LP, it still only has the original four tracks on each side - about 24 minutes of music total. But like I said, the music is really good. Side one has a 1955 session with Alvin Alcorn on trumpet and Pete Fountain at his Irving Fazola-inspired best. Side two is a 1953 session with Raymond Burke on clarinet and the great Lee Collins on trumpet - his last recording, I believe. I sound this at the late, lamented Magic Bus on Conti Street in the French Quarter back in the 1990s when I was trying to get as complete a Lee Collins collection as possible.

Earlier today:

Dixieland Way Down Yonder in New Orleans (GHB). Okay, this looks grim, but the music is great. ...

Not "grim" at all! What's not to like about traditional music from New Orleans?!?!?! :)

Oh, everybody here knows that I love New Orleans music. I just meant that the title is pretty off-putting, and the abitrary credit to Pete Fountain, who is only a sideman on one side, is misleading and annoying.

Jeff, Magic Bus is where I found some American Music CDs that I used to cherish. Did anyone (apart possibly from LA Music Factory) ever take Magic Bus's placer?

No, and there are really no decent record stores in the French Quarter now. (The Louisiana Music Factory is still great, but they have moved across Esplanade to Frenchmen Street in the Marigny nieghborhood.) Magic Bus has been gone five or six years now; I think that the space was still vacant the last time I walked by. The incredible Record Ron's (Ron had two French Quarter locations) disappeared when Ron died in 1996. There was a messy, disorganized store, the name of which I can't think of right now, on Decatur Street near Esplanade that I visited for nearly 20 years, but they are also now closed.

Magic Bus was always my second favorite New Orleans record store, after the Lousiana Music Factory. Probably my best score there was a complete Bix Beiderbecke CD set on the Italian IRD label for 60 bucks.

Besides the Music Factory, there are still a couple of good record stores in New Orleans. There's a branch of Euclid Records in the Bywater neighborhood. And Jim Russell's Rare Records on Magazine Street is an experience not to be missed, for those with a certain degree of patience. The arrangement and pricing of the records is totally random and arbitrary. But I've found some incredible stuff there, and their selection of New Orleans R & B 45s is jaw-dropping.

Duke Jordan--------Jazz laboratory series, Do it yourself Jazz Vol.1-------(Savoy)

Side 1 one has the piano trio (Duke Jordan, Oscar P. & Klook)and is pretty pointless given that a soloist is obviously missing. The soloist in question is Gigi Gryce who is added on side 2. From the liners it appears that Gryce's contributions were overdubbed. If you ignore side 1 you have some nicely recorded and played hardbop. Gryce is superb playing in his earlier style which is less bluesy than it became as he moved to Prestige.

Next up will be DIY Vol.2 which has Hall Overton on piano and Phil Woods on alto. A better combination would be the quartet sides on one LP. IIRC it has been issued in that way ( possibly on the original Signal edition)