What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

That MEV/AMM LP is awesome!  I also totally love the Sonic Arts Union album on the same label...

tonights playlist:

Ark Percussion Group "Black Hole" (Sony, Japan) late 70s modern percussion album bought solely for the sublime Michael Ranta contribution.

George Otsuka "sea breeze" (union, Japan)

Kiyoshi Sugimoto "country dream" (takt, Japan)

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Art Farmer - You Make Me Smile (Soul Note). With Clifford Jordan. This is not as good as I thought it would be when I bought it, but I really can't put my finger on any reason why. Too tame maybe?

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/491/MI0002491557.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I blame the cover. You can't have a lot of Pac-Men trying to slurp a couple of spermatozoa and a reflecting ghost head and get a proper handle on the music, I don't care if you do try to make it all better with a couple of flowers.

It's just a bad choice that was made, that cover was.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Coalition_(album).jpg

Elvin Jones - Coalition (BN) Early Liberty pressing with Van Gelder stamps, if that's important. In any case, it sounds better than on eight-track tape (which was the first format in which I had this music). And it's a bad-ass band, with Frank Foster and George Coleman.

http://cosimocode.com/images/nobility710lpf.png

George Lewis at Dixieland Hall (Nobility). A later Lewis album, from 1965. Trumpeter Joshua Willis, born 20 years after Lewis, was a really interesting player. He played with both the Young Tuxedo Brass Band and Ray Charles; he was adept at traditional New Orleans style, but he was also bebop-ish and (to my ears) Bobby Hackett-ish.

the-many-faces-of-jazz-vol-10-milton-mez

Mezz Mezzrow - The Many Faces of Jazz Vol. 10 (Vogue). A loose 1951 French session, which I sought out some years ago due to the presence of New Orleans trumpeter Lee Collins, who is a favorite of mine. Mezz could have improved any session he was part of by leaving the damn clarinet in the case, but Collins sounds very good, as does fellow New Orleanian Zutty Singleton.

DAVE-BRUBECK_AT-STORYVILLE-1954_041712.J

First side is pretty much too plowed to listen to more than once (and I'm got a high tolerance for that kind of thing, but the second side is more than easy enough to listen to, and that's where the meat is, for my money. Desmond's working of the Stravinsky quote on "When You're Smiling" is the kind of thing that could be merely clever if not for the macro-contexting of it that he does while he's going along, the quotes are never the object of the line, they're just a part of it, there's still this whole other thing going on. Sweet.

11252172_942523159137737_106657266092845

the beavs at dolphins, posted on the Vintage LA page-- and look hes standing directly underneath a record with  hank mobley on it! for reals what was he doin at dolphins anyway promoting that single of his, when you have records like -that- to choose from at dolphins, you got prestige frank wess, jimmy forrest, curtis amy & frank butler down the left end and chico, and look at that quincy jones there, i dont know about that one bein rright up there on the rack between a prestige record and a record with hank on it...

ok ok what im actually spinning though? 9/29/81- frejus, FR, aud recording, 3lp box.  this is like a level 10 rare one for sure, i never actually thought id own this, i just got it

11828728_954221799878_298141793242614228

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez