• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love the Art Hodes' Back Room Boys session!

Now spinning  Elvin Jones Live at the Lighthouse. LP1 contains Side 1&4, LP2 the in-between tracks. Was it a common habit from BN or just a mistake? Great music all the way through!

Back in the day, this was fairly common -- and not just with Blue Note.  IIRC, the origins of this were multi-LP record changing turntables. Putting sides 1 & 4 on a disc allows you to put two LPs on the turntable at once and hear sides 1 & 2 in sequence. Then you could flip both records and hear sides 3 & 4 in sequence.

I've been enjoying this LP:

charles-mcpherson-new-horizons-L-AHBq7a.

Edited by HutchFan

Tommy Whittle ------ Easy Listening-----( Ember ) UK mono DG released 1960

All originals in this set. It's not easy listening as most would define that genre. It's got an aggressive West Coast vibe not unlike some of the Zoot and Al recordings ( You n Me etc). 

230816920478.jpg

Edited by Clunky

NP

R-6036414-1409422603-9435.jpeg.jpg

Art Farmer ------ Music for that wild party----(Esquire UK)

.....and in keeping this isn't party music. Esquire outdid themselves with new title , new cover and preposterous liner notes about bringing this record ... " because Jazz is like now" (ouch!!)

Ira G's notes from the New Jazz issue remain as does the music from Farmer/ Gryce 

Edited by Clunky

All originals in this set. It's not easy listening as most would define that genre. It's got an aggressive West Coast vibe not unlike some of the Zoot and Al recordings ( You n Me etc). 

230816920478.jpg

Gotta say "an aggressive West Coast vibe" reads like a Dusty Groove review.

Lee Morgan "leeway" (blue note, mono 47 w 63rd). A recent score..1st pressing with deep groove on both sides.  Cover a bit worn and vinyl is slightly crackly but definitely a serviceable copy at $60

Hank Mobley "a caddy for daddy" (blue note, New York USA stereo) another recent purchase..$25 and pristine condition.  Really enjoying this one right now..better then I expected from this vintage.

230816920478.jpg

Good idea! Now listening to

060214.jpg

Love the Art Hodes' Back Room Boys session!

Now spinning  Elvin Jones Live at the Lighthouse. LP1 contains Side 1&4, LP2 the in-between tracks. Was it a common habit from BN or just a mistake? Great music all the way through!

Back in the day, this was fairly common -- and not just with Blue Note.  IIRC, the origins of this were multi-LP record changing turntables. Putting sides 1 & 4 on a disc allows you to put two LPs on the turntable at once and hear sides 1 & 2 in sequence. Then you could flip both records and hear sides 3 & 4 in sequence.

I've been enjoying this LP:

charles-mcpherson-new-horizons-L-AHBq7a.

Oh I see, thanks!

Tonight:

portfolio  of Ahmad Jamal

The Jimmy Giuffre 3

Jimmy-Giuffre.jpg

Great!

the Oscar Peterson Trio at the Concertgebouw

"A Dutch jazz  enthusiast tape-recorded the concert, passed the tape over to Norman Granz and the result is the enclosed LP of the Trio."

No, really! Confusing the Windy City with the Windmills Country. Not fond of the Lady is a tramp version, but there are also some great interactions between Ellis and OP.

And 74 Miles away to end the  evening!