What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Today's listening:

Howard Lucraft 'Showcase For Modern Jazz' (Decca DG mono)

Colin Bates Trio 'Brew' (UK Fontana, stereo)

Don Rendell Quintet 'Space Walk' (UK Columbia, Lansdowne Series)

John Cameron 'Off Centre' (Deram, mono)

Woody Shaw - Master of the Art

CRCD3202.jpg

Woody Shaw - Night Music

albumcoverWoodyShaw-NightMusic.jpg

That 'Master of the Art' is pretty representative as to how Woody's live groups sounded circa 1982/1983 (along with 'Lotus Flower').

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Miles Davis "kind of blue" (Columbia, stereo 6-eye). I recently sold my mono 6 eye and Canadian pressing 6-eye as I decided I did not need 8 different versions of this record.  I find the stereo edition to sound the best..a few clicks at the beginning of each side but quite clean afterwards. I also kept the 50th anniversary vinyl box edition, a 70s Japanese pressing, and the SACD which sounds incredible.

Miles Davis "kind of blue" (Columbia, stereo 6-eye). I recently sold my mono 6 eye and Canadian pressing 6-eye as I decided I did not need 8 different versions of this record.  I find the stereo edition to sound the best..a few clicks at the beginning of each side but quite clean afterwards. I also kept the 50th anniversary vinyl box edition, a 70s Japanese pressing, and the SACD which sounds incredible.

I had a 6 eye mono & a 6 eye stereo. I preferred the stereo by a lot. Then I picked up the Legacy 50th Anniversary Edition and I liked that even more. Lastly, I picked up the Newbury Comics limited edition blue pressing and that one has become my "go to" pressing. The funny thing is, the mono that is getting the big bucks these days is by far the worst-sounding LP version of this that I heard.

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name - (Atlantic, US orig)

some great stuff on that record!

The Spinanes - Manos - (Sub Pop, US orig)

I still have their first few singles..seems like yesterday!

I had a 6 eye mono & a 6 eye stereo. I preferred the stereo by a lot. Then I picked up the Legacy 50th Anniversary Edition and I liked that even more. Lastly, I picked up the Newbury Comics limited edition blue pressing and that one has become my "go to" pressing. The funny thing is, the mono that is getting the big bucks these days is by far the worst-sounding LP version of this that I heard.

yeah I was not a fan of the mono copy I had.  

Yeah,  I didn't hold onto the singles - don't think they're as good as that first LP, to be honest. 

Side two of the Cros kicks ass.

Now:

Various Artists - The Other Side of Blue Note 1500 Series - (Toshiba/Blue Note, JP)

wrapping up LP 1 of this fine 3 LP compilation, probably rendered useless by all the nice augmented CDs we've got now, but it's still an excellent overview of 1950s Blue Note material, all of it left off of the original titles.

Edited by clifford_thornton

51NYDSSY08L.jpg

I'm wishing I found something more interesting to play to start off the day.

<_<

In honour of Bob's birthday,  LPs and lives with Woody Shaw!

Woody Shaw - Master of the Art

CRCD3202.jpg

Woody Shaw - Night Music

albumcoverWoodyShaw-NightMusic.jpg

Gary Bartz NTU Troop - Home!

Home!_%28Gary_Bartz_album%29.jpg

is this one of the only leftbank releases released back in the day, on vinyl?

Yeah,  I didn't hold onto the singles - don't think they're as good as that first LP, to be honest. 

Side two of the Cros kicks ass.

Now:

Various Artists - The Other Side of Blue Note 1500 Series - (Toshiba/Blue Note, JP)

wrapping up LP 1 of this fine 3 LP compilation, probably rendered useless by all the nice augmented CDs we've got now, but it's still an excellent overview of 1950s Blue Note material, all of it left off of the original titles.

That Toshiba 3LP box is nice. Time to dig out !