What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

$_57.JPG

um....i dont wanna freak out on this point, but im 3/4 of the way thru side 1, and this is wayyyy different than classic duke- its totally a concept album, theres narration.....i thought it was going to be: Duke Ellington & His Orch + Candido: swingin duke latin fusion featuring Candido Camero.  well its like that but with like a broadway twist.  is that the strayhorn input?   is this -the only- lp in his cannon like this?  it really does flow like a concept album.  was there actually a TV b'cast to correspond w/ this, i wasnt clear on that on wikipedia, like i cant find it on youtube.   

im going to keep it (and pray for some candido solos on side 2) but im going to go back to classic duke:

Duke-Ellington-Opens-The-Cave-590626.jpg

im telling you, he goes back to his classic live thing here: Vancouver 1970.  you know whose in the band?  Julian Priester. (like about the same time he joined mwandishi)  the last recording of johnny hodges i think.  before i figured out it was from 1970 i swear i thought it was an aircheck from the 40s, they are swingin that hard on this. 

....DRUM gets better 1/2way through side 2.....

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok my final analysis of this lp, is: theres some swingin' candido twds the very end worth the price of admisson.  will be kept & filed with the other period Columbia white label promos, if i had to guess, id say....maybe next to Jo Stafford's Greatest Hits.  that sounds about right. (catalogue order).   

Contemporary Hungarian Music, Zoltan Jeney and Laszlo Sary (Hungaraton). Early 1970s works from two Hungarian composers--very nice and adventurous.

Excellent choice. Many treasures to be found on the Hungaraton label in the 1970s and 1980s, especially by composers of the Budapest New Music Studio (Jeney and Sary were both founding members).

I've yet to find a dud on that label. Zsolt Durko is another favourite. Do you have any other recommendations? Hungaraton also did that amazing edition of Bartok's works.

Sorry for replying late and I don't have my records here, but I would recommend really almost anything by the New Music Studio composers (I'm particularly fond of Zoltan Jeney). Hungaroton also released a string of excellent electronic/electroacoustic records by Hungarian composers. And there's Kurtág, of course...

(I'm not an expert on "straight" classical music, but given the high quality of so much contemporary/avant-garde releases on the label, I would imagine their standards to be pretty high there too. The Bartok edition you mentioned is a case in point.)

Edited by corto maltese
It's Hungaroton.

I have an original of that Frank Wright - excellent album. I recall it being a pretty loud pressing. The new Calumet reissue is a bootleg; Calumet was a subsidiary of Musidisc France, which also owned the America label. Their catalog was pretty small, with a handful of blues titles and a library funk title spotlighting the music of Mal Waldron (although Mal doesn't play on it).

I used to think Calumet was a private label too, but it's a Pierre Berjot/Jaubert (take your pick) imprint. All of those labels - Carson, America, etc. - shared artists and releases and were manufactured and distributed by Musidisc. As near as I can tell, he was the dude running the show and didn't seem to be paying anybody either.

I have an original of that Frank Wright - excellent album. I recall it being a pretty loud pressing. The new Calumet reissue is a bootleg; Calumet was a subsidiary of Musidisc France, which also owned the America label. Their catalog was pretty small, with a handful of blues titles and a library funk title spotlighting the music of Mal Waldron (although Mal doesn't play on it).

You mean Waldron's unreleased "Candy Girl" album with members of the Lafayette Afro Rock Band ? I didn't know Mal didn't play on it. Still would love to find a copy (there are promo's).

I always thought Calumet was a private label manufactured and distributed by Musidisc.

Now listening to a recent $.99 treasure from Record Theater in Buffalo. I seems to be unplayed.

R-3671214-1339722183-3661.jpeg.jpg

I used to think Calumet was a private label too, but it's a Pierre Berjot/Jaubert (take your pick) imprint. All of those labels - Carson, America, etc. - shared artists and releases and were manufactured and distributed by Musidisc. As near as I can tell, he was the dude running the show and didn't seem to be paying anybody either.

At that time, the Calumet label was distributed by Discodis, not by Jaubert's Musidisc (see the back cover of "Church Number Nine").

On the other hand, music from the same session (a track also called "Church number nine") was released on Noah Howard's "Space Dimension", which was released some time earlier on the America label (part of Musidisc) and produced by Jaubert.

It's always a bit complex in France...

You mean Waldron's unreleased "Candy Girl" album with members of the Lafayette Afro Rock Band ? I didn't know Mal didn't play on it. Still would love to find a copy (there are promo's).

I always thought Calumet was a private label manufactured and distributed by Musidisc.

Now listening to a recent $.99 treasure from Record Theater in Buffalo. I seems to be unplayed.

R-3671214-1339722183-3661.jpeg.jpg

At that time, the Calumet label was distributed by Discodis, not by Jaubert's Musidisc (see the back cover of "Church Number Nine").

On the other hand, music from the same session (a track also called "Church number nine") was released on Noah Howard's "Space Dimension", which was released some time earlier on the America label (part of Musidisc) and produced by Jaubert.

It's always a bit complex in France...

Yeah, that's the Waldron I'm referring to.

I've got a couple of America LPs that have Discodis logos too. Weird. It's all a mess indeed.

Agreed, that track was also included on the Japanese Odeon LP "Church Number Nine" and I'm pretty sure it was all from the same recording session.