Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evan Parker, John Edwards, Chris Corsano - The Hurrah [OtoRoku]

I'm still waiting to hear if my copy has been shipped. I appreciate that they are a small concern but they've been exceptionally poor communicators. I paid for my copy over 13 months ago and have only had updates as I've repeatedly chased them up. Now the thing is out I've nothing again.?

I'm still waiting to hear if my copy has been shipped. I appreciate that they are a small concern but they've been exceptionally poor communicators. I paid for my copy over 13 months ago and have only had updates as I've repeatedly chased them up. Now the thing is out I've nothing again.?

That is poor indeed. I tend to get prompt replies from the shop manager Mark but maybe that's because I'm usually about to spend money with them

It probably doesn't help to know that copies are on display at the venue

The Jazz Couriers in Concert Featuring Ronnie Scott and Tubby Hayes

MI0003164720.jpg

Nice one.  I was there, my first jazz concert.  The Couriers were supporting Dave Brubeck.

damn - that's pretty incredible.

A great concert and sure a wonderful way to familiarise yourself with jazz!

I gave it another spin tonight, my 50+ years old copy has a beautiful sound!

A new audiophile pressing is currently being cleared out at Elusive Disc for $10.00.

That is poor indeed. I tend to get prompt replies from the shop manager Mark but maybe that's because I'm usually about to spend money with them

It arrived today and is a great release up to their usual high standards. Communication needs to improve to say the least. By beef was not the delay but being kept in the dark. 

It arrived today and is a great release up to their usual high standards. Communication needs to improve to say the least. By beef was not the delay but being kept in the dark. 

Glad to hear you've got it and are enjoying it. It is indeed very good

meanwhile....

Brotzmann, van Hove, Bennink, Mangelsdorff - Outspan No.1 [FMP]

I definitely want No. 2 now

Don Patterson - Mellow Soul (Prestige). Green label Van Gelder pressing. Patterson, organ; David 'Fathead' Newman, tenor sax & flute; Billy James, drums. Not the best sounding RVG recording I've heard. For some reason, the reverb is off the charts, making the band sound like they're playing in a airplane hanger. It's worse on side 1. I do like Newman's "Head". Overall, this one won't get on the turntable too often.

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/images/covers/don-patterson-mellow-soul-20140909151741.jpg

Glad to hear you've got it and are enjoying it. It is indeed very good

meanwhile....

Brotzmann, van Hove, Bennink, Mangelsdorff - Outspan No.1 [FMP]

I definitely want No. 2 now

1 is better than 2.

The Bobby Jaspar Quartet - At Ronnie Scotts - 1962 (Mole Jazz). Jaspar, tenor sax & flute; Rene Thomas, guitar; Benoit Quersin, bass; Daniel Humair, drums. Recorded in 1962 but not released until 1986. Dusty live sound but acceptable... better than many bootlegs. I bought this even though I'm not usually a fan of dusty-sounding live dates but I just like Jaspar's sound. He does not disappoint.
02104209.JPG

Can someone tell me why this CD version adds 3 tracks from the session but drops the LP track
"It Could Happen To You"?

Pepper Adams, Encounter (Prestige). Love the lineup on this one: Zoot Sims, Tommy Flanagan, Elvin Jones and Ron Carter.

Love this one too. It gets played often.

0100512.jpg

Hidehiko Matsumoto, The First by Sleepy (Toshiba). Nice 1977 date by one of Japan's more renowned tenor saxophonists. Liner notes are unintentionally hilarious going into obsessive details over the direct to disc recording process. 

Billy Harper, Knowledge of Self (Denon). A recent purchase and the first Harper leader date I've picked up. There's a lot of love for Billy Harper on this board and I can see why--a great one.

Yeah, not sure how much I paid for either of the Brötzmanns. I don't think they were ridiculously expensive. The only LPs of Herr Brö that I've thrown down for have been Hot Lotta and the Atsugi Concert, but those are pretty tough to track down and it felt 'worth it' (as if any of this stuff really is...).

Manabu Ohishi - Nebula (East Works Entertainment). Manabu Ohishi, piano; Yasushi Yoneki, bass; Dairiki Hara, drums. Elusive Disc put this audiophile LP on sale for $4.99 (regular $29.99) so I figured I'd give it a try. Nice stuff. Typical of a Japanese piano trio.

MANABU-OHISHI-TRIO-nebula-.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

More Elusive Disc "blow out" specials...

Makoto Terashita Trio - Ihatov (Tokyo Sound City Planning Company). Makoto Terashita, piano; Koji Yamashita, bass; Masahiro Tajika, drums. Normally $30, on sale for $10. Pianist & leader Terashita was a student of Barry Harris (it shows) and played in Elvin Jones' Jazz Machine in the 80s. Nice relaxed piano trio playing some straight ahead Jazz. I like their version of Monk's "Trinkle Tinkle".

TSCPLP0044-Large.jpg