• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

61loyDeno5L._SY355_.jpg

Jane Ira Bloom: Mighty Lights (Enja)

Brought back good memories of hearing this band (w. Haden, Blackwell, Hersch) play live a couple of times. She had something going back then and somehow seemed to lose it along the way to now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I've kept the early albums I have by her, but I've never kept the more recent Bloom albums I've tried for more than a couple of months.

Now playing:

http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/img/releases/16672/w/sunny.jpg

Sunny Murray - Homage to Africa (BYG Actuel)

61loyDeno5L._SY355_.jpg

Brought back good memories of hearing this band (w. Haden, Blackwell, Hersch) play live a couple of times. She had something going back then and somehow seemed to lose it along the way to now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I've kept the early albums I have by her, but I've never kept the more recent Bloom albums I've tried for more than a couple of months.

"Mighty Lights" is one of Bloom's earliest efforts (1982). I hope by "early" you mean prior to 2000. Because if you missed "The Nearness" (1995) or "Red Quartets" (1999), you missed some good stuff. I do agree that her latest efforts (2000-2013) are not as good as her earlier stuff.

R-2070710-1308930412.jpeg.jpg

Jimmy Woods: Conflict (Contemporary black label)

61loyDeno5L._SY355_.jpg

"Mighty Lights" is one of Bloom's earliest efforts (1982). I hope by "early" you mean prior to 2000. Because if you missed "The Nearness" (1995) or "Red Quartets" (1999), you missed some good stuff. I do agree that her latest efforts (2000-2013) are not as good as her earlier stuff.

Actually, she lost my attention earlier than that - around the time of Modern Drama. I heard her play live a number of times prior to that recording and bought a couple of her recordings after that one, but I've only kept the ones before Modern Drama. Just my take and tastes.

An old friend came out to visit and brought along a bunch of beer:

RNA organism "meets POPO" (vanity, Japan)

Guru Guru "kanguru" (brain metronome, Germany)

Masahiko Sato/Jean Luc Ponty "astrorama" (Liberty, Japan)

Shankar/Jon Christensen "MRCS" (ECM, Germany)

Knut Risnaes "Flukt" (Odin, Norway)

Jackie McLean "new soil" (Blue note, 47 w 63rd stereo ear)

MC5 "kick out the jams" (Elektra, USA uncensored)

Strange "Translucent world" (private, USA)

needless to say it was a fun night ;)