• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

J.R. Monterose - Live In Albany (Uptown). J.R. - sax; Hod O'Brien - piano; Teddy Kotick - bass; Eddie Robinson - drums. This one is pretty good. Rough in patches but still worth the spin and I'm gald I bought it. J.R. sounds a bit short of breath in places where he seems to "bite off" notes but it could be his style of the time (recorded May 8, 1979). O'Brien (as usual) is pretty spot on, even if stuck with a nominally tuned piano (the bass sound isn't much better). On Monterose's original, "Lu-an", he is on but the rest of the band seems to be playing at a different tempo, which strikes me as weird for a ballad.

BTW, I really enjoyed Robert Sunenblick's liner notes.

93487671.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/50th-Anniversary-Paul-Whiteman/dp/B004UFK2M2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446156460&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+whiteman+50th+anniversary

Some fabulous Teagarden, a supposedly original version "Rhapsody in Blue" (I say supposedly because I don't know for sure what the musicological-historical issues are there) with Buddy Weed on piano that sounds great, not like the concert piece it's become but a mid-'20s "jazz" piece, everything played by a remarkable group of zestful vintage studio guys, including Al Gallardo for the clarinet gliss on "Rhapsody," all recorded with excellent presence by the Enoch Light crew. 

http://www.amazon.com/50th-Anniversary-Paul-Whiteman/dp/B004UFK2M2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446156460&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+whiteman+50th+anniversary

Some fabulous Teagarden, a supposedly original version "Rhapsody in Blue" (I say supposedly because I don't know for sure what the musicological-historical issues are there) with Buddy Weed on piano that sounds great, not like the concert piece it's become but a mid-'20s "jazz" piece, everything played by a remarkable group of zestful vintage studio guys, including Al Gallardo for the clarinet gliss on "Rhapsody," all recorded with excellent presence by the Enoch Light crew. 

I have a Roku channel that's full of vintage radio programs, and one of the series of which they have episodes is some Philco/Paul Whiteman show from during WWII, commercials intact. It is mind-boggling in so many ways, very few of them particularly good, but you know what they say about if it doesn't kill you, it just makes you wish you were dead, something like that.

Anyway, to think of this in terms of being live no retakes radio is pretty damn intense, the cues are just SOOOOO popped/precise, and the songs, geez, full orchestra, full chorus, no elaboration left unelaborated. Just non-stop space filling, beyond mechanically perfect, almost sci-fi perfect. But then you get something like Red Norvo popping in to jam a few choruses of "Northwest Passage" (called something else, there's some research for the researchers), and, oh, you think it's jazz, and it is, but only until it's not, and that doesn't take very long.

Just from a logistics standpoint, it's hard to believe that the Paul Whiteman of these broadcasts could have been a real person. But here he was, so I guess he had to have been. I bet he had one of those longass batons, not for show, but to shoo time out of the way so that that show could pass through on schedule. WHEW!

Yuji Takahashi "John cage sonatas and interludes for prepared piano" (denon, Japan)

Not surprisingly (surely I'm not the only one here?), this is the composition of which I own the largest number of recordings (LP and CD). The sound on this Denon is gorgeous and I really like this version.

I have another recording by Takahisha, split over two LP's on the great Swedish Fylkingen label. Those records are 50 years old and mono, but they sound great and Takahisha's interpretation might even be superior to the later one.

Ovary Lodge (RCA)

Excellent record - I don't think it's ever made it to CD. 

I bought it around '73 after hearing Tippett on the King Crimson records and seeing Robert Fripp's name on the credits. Totally confounded me but over time it worked its magic. 

A CD would be nice - a lot of the record is very quiet, my vinyl copy very noisy!