• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a SABA pressing of that Jaki Byard Vol 1 - very nice. Picked up from a store in Stuttgart at reasonable cost as well (shame that the store is no longer physically 'there').

Ovary Lodge (RCA)

Excellent record - I don't think it's ever made it to CD. 

I bought it around '73 after hearing Tippett on the King Crimson records and seeing Robert Fripp's name on the credits. Totally confounded me but over time it worked its magic. 

A CD would be nice - a lot of the record is very quiet, my vinyl copy very noisy! 

Might be a victim of the 72/73 oil crisis. There was a bit of deterioration in the quality of vinyl used on LPs of that era, which seems to be an issue with UK RCAs in my experience.

I have a SABA pressing of that Jaki Byard Vol 1 - very nice. Picked up from a store in Stuttgart at reasonable cost as well (shame that the store is no longer physically 'there').

Ovary Lodge (RCA)

I bought it around '73 after hearing Tippett on the King Crimson records and seeing Robert Fripp's name on the credits. Totally confounded me but over time it worked its magic. 

A CD would be nice - a lot of the record is very quiet, my vinyl copy very noisy! 

Might be a victim of the 72/73 oil crisis. There was a bit of deterioration in the quality of vinyl used on LPs of that era, which seems to be an issue with UK RCAs in my experience.

Possibly. Thinking about it I think I bought it around Easter '74 which was about 8 months after the Yom Kippur War...my first 6 months at university had that whole crisis as a backdrop. I certainly recall vinyl getting thinner and more dodgy. That's when I learnt to hate it!!!!

Ovary Lodge (RCA)

Possibly. Thinking about it I think I bought it around Easter '74 which was about 8 months after the Yom Kippur War...my first 6 months at university had that whole crisis as a backdrop. I certainly recall vinyl getting thinner and more dodgy. That's when I learnt to hate it!!!!

Yep, they made the LPs thinner and started recycling the vinyl. Funnily enough though, the quality of the UK CBS pressings seemed to go up. My Miles twofers of that period still sound superb.

Today's finds

Art Farmer 'To Duke With Love' (French East Wind). Blows away my old Inner City copy from back in the day.

Humphrey Lyttleton 'Blues In The Night' (UK Columbia, mono). Another Lansdowne Series LP, immaculate condition.

http://www.hororecords.com/en/style/images/art/catalog/detail/HZ/11%20-%20Steve%20Lacy%20-%20Eronel/url.jpg  https://cdn2.dustygroove.com/images/products/d/deucha_jimm_pubcrawli_101b.jpg

Steve Lacy - Eronel (Horo). Solo Monk compositions.

Jimmy Deuchar - Pub Crawling (Contemporary). I listened to this once when I found it about a year ago, then forgot about it. That won't happen again - excellent writing and playing from Mr. Deuchar and an all-star British cast.

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

https://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/b/brown_peteb_jazzkalei_101b.jpg  http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MDBiSzakL._SX425_.jpg

Pete Brown/Jonah Jones - Jazz Kaleidoscope (Bethlehem). The Pete Brown session on side one is just delicious. It was originally a 10" LP; Joe Wilder is on trumpet.

Charlie Poole with the Highlanders - The Complete Paramount & Brunswick Recordings, 1929 (Tompkins Square)

I have that Pete Brown session on Affinity. I agree with your opinion.

Love that Hampel/Lee.....as I do most of their collaborations. Not yet heard a poor one

playing now

Dave Pike - It's Time For Dave Pike [Prestige, Mono]

just picked up in a local shop (along with Terje Rypdal - Descendre and Richard Davis - Harvest. Contrasting selection to say the least)

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Love that Hampel/Lee.....as I do most of their collaborations. Not yet heard a poor one

me too... while the Wergo is well-recorded, my feeling is that the first pressings of those Wergo-Jazz titles aren't that hot. The only one I have that sounds clear as day is the Favre.