• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Michael Sell Contemporary Music Ensemble - Innovationen Fur 10 Instrumente [MISP]

I like this one a lot. I'll be getting some more Sell that's for sure.

Mind you I'll not be paying the obscure vinyl premium for the Free Jazz Group Wiesbaden (cue Clifford T, I suspect) thanks to the wonderful folks at No Business  

ha, yeah I do have those. They're interesting. I don't have any of Sell's records under his own name but I do have the two Dieter Scherf LPs (not my favorite, but okay). 

Of the obscure German groups from that period, the Modern Jazz Quintet Karlsruhe is pretty amazing, as are the related Fourmenonly dates. I don't believe any of that material has been reissued.

Then of course there's Just Music and EMT, as well as the transitional Alfed Harth Quintet with Nicole van den Plas. Good times.

Harth's catalogue is really quite fascinating, though much of it falls outside of the specific 'free improvisation' realm that we're talking here. He's made a lot of CD-R samplers and collections of archival material available, which I'm thankful to have been provided over the years. I interviewed Harth for AAJ and have reviewed a number of his releases.

You're right - MJQK and FMO records can be pricey. I think Position 2000 was the only one that I paid through the nose for, however. It's a particularly excellent date, though I will say that one problem with these early '70s German private pressings is that they're not as audiophile as one might hope. All of mine are M- visually but have some inherent noise. I'd also pick up Eight Science Fiction Stories if you see it, as the music's feel is certainly quite Dixonian in nature.

The first Herbert Joos on JAPO is a cheap LP and certainly worth hearing. That was a gateway drug to MJQK and FMO. 

10 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Harth's catalogue is really quite fascinating, though much of it falls outside of the specific 'free improvisation' realm that we're talking here. He's made a lot of CD-R samplers and collections of archival material available, which I'm thankful to have been provided over the years. I interviewed Harth for AAJ and have reviewed a number of his releases.

You're right - MJQK and FMO records can be pricey. I think Position 2000 was the only one that I paid through the nose for, however. It's a particularly excellent date, though I will say that one problem with these early '70s German private pressings is that they're not as audiophile as one might hope. All of mine are M- visually but have some inherent noise. I'd also pick up Eight Science Fiction Stories if you see it, as the music's feel is certainly quite Dixonian in nature.

The first Herbert Joos on JAPO is a cheap LP and certainly worth hearing. That was a gateway drug to MJQK and FMO. 

Thanks for this info. I have the Joos Japo, enjoy it too

1 hour ago, Homefromtheforest said:

I just love this album but only own the original 6-eye stereo in mint condition.  How's the sound on this one?  

Excellent sound, to my ears. Have no idea if it's on the level of the original, but this includes the extra tracks that were issued on the CD issue.

Should add that I love the album too - some of my favorite Messengers.

Edited by paul secor

On 5-11-2015 22:00:52, clifford_thornton said:

You might have been unlucky with some copies you got, Clifford, because generally speaking those German records you mention, including the private label issues, are really top-notch recordings ànd pressings.

Perhaps that's true - they look unplayed and all come from different collections. I mean, they're not BYG-bad but noticeably a little noisy. I'm not sweating it too much though, just one of the perils of buying used LPs... and I consider myself lucky to be able to hear this music, far away from Germany, in 2015.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/Things_to_Come_from_Those_Now_Gone.jpg  http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/712kVeF8ZpL._SX355_.jpg  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Mr_Natural_%28Stanley_Turrentine_album%29.jpg

Three albums which apparently, according to my pictures, get progressively larger:

Muhal Richard Abrams - Things to Come From Those Now Gone (Delmark)

Horace Parlan - Movin' & Groovin' (Classic). A nice audiophile pressing that was a birthday present from my wife

Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural (BN Rainbow)

Edited by jeffcrom