• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/9/2015, 5:04:29, paul secor said:

51YuILBtY0L._SY355_.jpg

Count Basie: Chairman of the Board (Roulette/Classic)

Within the past couple of days I've listened to Atomic Basie and this record. To my ears, Chairman is the better of the two, even if Atomic Basie is better known.

It is the better of the two, no doubt in my mind. Chairman is one of the best albums the NT Basie Band ever made IMO, arguably the best.  

Edited by John Tapscott

On 11/11/2015, 06:00:10, sidewinder said:

Sawano did a great job on that one.

certainly sounds so. I don't know anything about Sawano apart from what's on their website. are they generally well regarded?

9 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_ib_LsxWmQk/T3eKByGDyUI/AAAAAAAACcU/BxBCyzNibho/s400/Front.JPG

Wadada Leo Smith - The Mass on the World (Moers)

:tup:tup:tup no mistaking for KW on that one :)

17 hours ago, mjazzg said:

certainly sounds so. I don't know anything about Sawano apart from what's on their website. are they generally well regarded?

All the ones I have both look and sound great. I particularly like the attention to detail with the LP sleeve facsimiles. The Tubby Hayes Tempos are particularly good - considering they are needle drops.

On 6.11.2015, 03:32:59, B. Clugston said:

Paul Desmond Quartet Live (Horizon). Great quartet date with on Ed Bickert on guitar, Jerry Fuller on drums and Don Thompson on bass (and engineer). Desmond's solo on Jobim's Wave is packed with interesting moments.

tremendous performance ....

10 hours ago, B. Clugston said:

Joseph Jarman and Famoudou Don Moye, Egwu-Anwu (Sun Song) (India Navigation). Nice showcase of both talents without the other guys.

Jimmy Giuffre 3, Music for People, Birds, Butterflies & Mosquitoes (Choice). Great album from Giuffre's 70s trio. Lots of flute.

two very fine albums there :tup

I know I say it every time they're mentioned but those Giuffre Choice sessions really are right up there

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

two very fine albums there :tup

I know I say it every time they're mentioned but those Giuffre Choice sessions really are right up there

Those albums seem to get forgotten amongst Giuffre's output, but they are great. Kiyoshi Tokunaga and Randy Kaye are an excellent rhythm section for this music.

Evan Parker/Derek Bailey/Han Bennink, The Topography of the Lungs (Incus)