• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, paul secor said:

davisstitt109134.jpg

Miles Davis & Sonny Stitt: Live in Stockholm 1960 (Dragon)

Listening to this last night, I heard one man immersed in his music and another man playing for a paycheck. Perhaps a harsh opinion, but a true one for me.

I tend to go for the spring, 1960 tour with Coltrane, because I feel similarly about Stitt's playing on the fall tour. But years ago a friend pointed out something about the tour with Stitt, and I've found it to be true: Miles really bears down on the Stitt dates - he plays. My guess is the he didn't hear/feel much coming from Stitt and felt he had to make up for that. By contrast, there are moments from the spring Coltrane tour when Miles seems to be - well, not coasting; I wouldn't go that far - but not stretching himself, because he knows that Coltrane is pushing himself to the limit.

Does this make any sense?

31 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

I tend to go for the spring, 1960 tour with Coltrane, because I feel similarly about Stitt's playing on the fall tour. But years ago a friend pointed out something about the tour with Stitt, and I've found it to be true: Miles really bears down on the Stitt dates - he plays. My guess is the he didn't hear/feel much coming from Stitt and felt he had to make up for that. By contrast, there are moments from the spring Coltrane tour when Miles seems to be - well, not coasting; I wouldn't go that far - but not stretching himself, because he knows that Coltrane is pushing himself to the limit.

Yes. Miles id definitely playing to the max on this record. I'll have to listen again to the Trane recordings before I comment on his playing there.

5 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

I saw the Davis/Stitt band on this tour.  Just out of my teenage years.  I don't remember too much about it except what was played was hot and totally unexpected.   We were definitely not prepared for it from the recordings  available at the time.

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

I saw the Davis/Stitt band on this tour.  Just out of my teenage years.  I don't remember too much about it except what was played was hot and totally unexpected.   We were definitely not prepared for it from the recordings  available at the time.

So sorry to have missed that gig. They were at the Free Trade Hall when I was a student in Manchester. However, it was during the university vacation and I was at home with my parents in Leeds. My Manchester student friend, the late Jack Massarik, managed to make the gig.

Edited by BillF

20 hours ago, paul secor said:

davisstitt109134.jpg

Miles Davis & Sonny Stitt: Live in Stockholm 1960 (Dragon)

Listening to this last night, I heard one man immersed in his music and another man playing for a paycheck. Perhaps a harsh opinion, but a true one for me.

20 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

I won't ask which was which....

This reminds me of first hearing a Japanese CD-set of Miles' Blackhawk recordings with Hank Mobley and noticing that some of the (very long) solos had been heavily edited on the original LP's.

I won't tell whose...

Trane with Miles in Paris in 1960 is, for me, a sci-fi like experience, you want to know what time warping ahead forward and when back again, that's what that date is. As the tour goes on, Trane pulls back a little, probably out of fear of people dying and shit, but I do sense that Miles was in awe at Trane, that's why he begged him to make the tour, because he so seriously wanted that, especially as he realized that he wasn't gonna have it, potentially, ever again.

But for Stitt, yes, he was playing for a paycheck, but keep in mind, playing was his paycheck, and he came up in a place and time where if you failed, your paycheck would probably not be there, so...higher stakes than just "getting paid". Cats like that always paid for a paycheck, either right then, or tomorrow.

Which is not to say that he never coasted, oh jeez, the man was one of the best non-big-band coasters ever. But the worst of it came later, when he was established and could afford to, the daggers weren't everywhere, too much time and competition had passed and he was a beloved club draw no matter what, so fuck it, just have a record out, any kind of record, let them know you're still alive and the gigs will be there. In 1960, the dude still had to play, even at his coasting level, especially with Miles!

Pulled this out the other day, just to hear "Don't Get Sassy", totally rockindiculous stuff.

va-jazzwaveontour.JPG

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Pulled this out the other day, just to hear "Don't Get Sassy", totally rockindiculous stuff.

va-jazzwaveontour.JPG

Not often that you would find an original Blue Note at £1 at Mole Jazz but that's what that one cost me. Pretty well the dustiest couple of records I ever bought though, sneezed for a week afterwards..

Joe Henderson "tetragon" (milestone, USA)

Woody Shaw "blackstone legacy" (contemporary, stereo USA)

Up next if I can stay awake:

Masabumi Kikuchi "matrix" (Victor Japan Think! reissue)

Akira Ishikawa "electrum" (Victor Japan Think! reissue)

Both of these in gatefold replica sleeves..the Japanese sure know how to reissue stuff properly!!

3 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Joe Henderson "tetragon" (milestone, USA)

Woody Shaw "blackstone legacy" (contemporary, stereo USA)

Up next if I can stay awake:

Masabumi Kikuchi "matrix" (Victor Japan Think! reissue)

Akira Ishikawa "electrum" (Victor Japan Think! reissue)

Both of these in gatefold replica sleeves..the Japanese sure know how to reissue stuff properly!!

Those Think! reissues are CD's, aren't they? Both albums have just been reissued on vinyl by HMV Japan.

"Matrix" is fine (maybe a bit conservative), but "Electrum", I don't know... I've tried several times because I felt I should like it a lot (time, context, players), but I gave up and didn't keep it.

"Blackstone Legacy" is an old favourite; I think it was one of the first straight jazz records I bought.

Oops yes I meant HMV.

I don't think "matrix" was ever reissued on CD though..this vinyl sounds much nicer then my crappy catalyst reissue I got rid of years ago.

"electrum" didn't knock me out when I first got the reissue CD that came out some years ago; but repeated listenings have rewarded me..I think the vinyl sounds a bit better then the CD for what it's worth.  I hear what you are saying though - from the cast of players you'd expect an all out masterpiece!