• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, brain fart...I was thinking of "We'll Be Together Again" from Straight Up. Masterful tenor playing..

I find it interesting that Vick got signed to RCA in the first place..was that Brad McKuen? The guy obviously had business skills and was not afraid to make commercial records...but how many people can be said to have leader dates for Lion/Wolff-era Blue Note, RCA, and Strata-East as well as a pseudonymious LP AND a Sonny Rollins tune dedicated to them to their name? Harold Vick, there's got to be a story there of a man who knew how to navigate skillfully and honorably. Either that or else the guy was a total asshole. But I think probably not?

18 minutes ago, Homefromtheforest said:

"Flakes" by Lacy is a tough listen; I rarely pull it out.  It's fascinating but you got to be in *that* mood for it

Yes. The improvised portion of the first track, "Weal," is a saxophone duet by Lacy and Steve Potts. Lacy's contribution consists of a harsh multiphonic blast, endlessly repeated without variation for the entire length of the duet. It was perfect for me tonight, and put me in a place where I could then move on to more "normal" music.

13 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

I feel kind of bad - hope I wasn't too mean - except that it got you to listen again.

Now playing:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YHCwR3M8kls/S-X8upfe75I/AAAAAAAAAxs/4Ms0i4NiRgg/s1600/Cover.jpg

Steve Lacy - Flakes (Vista). I don't listen to this Italian album much; the music is dense and jagged and the recording is brittle. But it fits my mood tonight.

I had a copy of this years ago. Your description is probably why I no longer have it (though perhaps I should have kept it).