• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

on the way to spin later: 

s-l1600.jpg

there were 12 bids but i got for 17, only like 2 dollars higher than the previous bid-- i guess everyone was bidding, but everybody was also lowballin' cause it was trip, lol.  ive been waitin for a while for this one to pop up on ebay, theres 3 lps total from this famous lee date and this is the one that i havent seen on ebay yet  i was worried cause it was from the esteemed 'funkyousounds' seller (who has everythingggggg)-- but i totally got it.  

the other lp is the one w/ the red cover and contains 1 song per side, side 2 being rakin' n scrapin. 

the other lp has multiple options--- the japan press, the trip press, and the phoenix press, this one is called 'speedball'. --- for this one i go w/ the phoenix, the vinyl quality is obviosly way better than the trip (i think its from 1980).  SQ is astounding so i never really picked up the trip version, but if i saw it locally id probably get it

the cd set still i think has a little more material, so that is still necessary too btw, k

Whenever I see those Trip lps they remind me of the Jazz wasteland which was the mid 1970s when fusion ruled, Blue Note LPs had gone into semi-permanent hibernation and the likes of Xanadu and Muse were just gearing up. I guess the cover art budget didn't extend beyond loan of a photocopier.. :mellow:

220px-Shimri_(album).jpg

Arild Anderson---Shimri-----(ECM W.Germany) rec 1977 with Juhani Aaltonen and Lars Jansson.

At its best when Juhani doesn't play the flute. When he does it has a dreamy like effect of being lost in a Norwegian forrest in the depth of winter.  Personally I prefer his more muscular tenor sax playing. Jansson is great on piano.

1 hour ago, aparxa said:

groovin' high:

clif.jpg

How's the Zagreb LP. I've hesitated picking this up in the past . Attracted by the cool Jazz Life cover but wary of the image of this being cocktail lounge music. 

Currently spinning 

Lucky Thompson----Plays Jerome Kern and no more---(Moodsville) not the world's best pressing.....

220px-Lucky_Thompson_Plays_Jerome_Kern_a

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

1976613.jpg

Walter Zuber Armstrong/Steve Lacy -----Alter Ego, Duets-----(World Artists) rec 1979 BIMHouse

New arrival picked up on the basis of Lacy - seems quite interesting so far.

Had a negative reaction to that one and haven't played it in years; I sometimes even cite this as the only Steve Lacy album I don't like. But that's not really fair, because like I say, it's been years since I've heard it. I need to pull it off the shelves and give it a spin soon. I suspect it's a lot better than I remember.

2 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

Had a negative reaction to that one and haven't played it in years; I sometimes even cite this as the only Steve Lacy album I don't like. But that's not really fair, because like I say, it's been years since I've heard it. I need to pull it off the shelves and give it a spin soon. I suspect it's a lot better than I remember.

I had it years ago and could never get into it. No longer have it.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Never picked this one up. The duo with Michael J. Smith also disappointed for the brief period it occupied my shelves. Maybe I should try that one again at least.

That's funny - I've always liked that one. I think I've said around here somewhere that I think Michael played Lacy's compositions - as compositions - better than any other pianist.  Which, of course, is not the same as saying that he was the best pianist to play with Lacy.

6 hours ago, Clunky said:

How's the Zagreb LP. I've hesitated picking this up in the past . Attracted by the cool Jazz Life cover but wary of the image of this being cocktail lounge music. 

Elegant! Reminiscent of Porgy and Bess from  MJQ with balkan tones. No breathtaking stuff, but no elevator music in my opinion.

4 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

I'd be interested in you thoughts upon renewed acquaintance. It has overtones of Cherry/Rollins in that Armstrong comes from a more bluesy place than Lacy. The connection between what each of them plays isn't immediately obvious (to me at least). Still found enough to enjoy though. 

41 minutes ago, aparxa said:

Elegant! Reminiscent of Porgy and Bess from  MJQ with balkan tones. No breathtaking stuff, but no elevator music in my opinion.

Thanks , I'll try to remember that next time I see a copy