Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2728851-1406695239-6516.jpeg.jpg

Fascinating "of the times" line racially the talking about acoustic players answering the challenges of electronic music, new music allowing for participation vs. interpretation...most all of it speaks to a new esthetic irrevocably begins to reach into that of "jazz". In turn, the howls especially  the "avant-garde" of jazz abandoning its roots in favor of "European" influence...that's a two way street, ya' know?

Some wonderful music on here, especially the Berio Sequenza.

MI0000873828.jpg

Liner notes by Mike Zwerin talking about how his jazz - cynicism was totally defeated by hanging with The Cowsills for a few days and realizing that they were exactly the type of people and act that they projected to the public.

Musically, anybody can quibble with the"what", bur I'll be damned if there's any quibbles with the "how"... I was surprised as hell to see that the album was produced by Bill & Bob Cowsill. The group vocals...geez, love/hate here, but objectively, as "section work" if the hate cannot accept the love, then further processing is probably needed. 

Fuck The Partridge Family. Nothin personal, just sayin'.

28b8f12309e9ac4afaade20e5d04ffc2_XL.jpg

If this band had gained traction...or recorded for Milestone...Phil Woods does not sound uncomfortable with the electronics on his horn or in his band, not at all.

It might be follow - the - leader Weather Report, but I mmuch prefer it to so much of the virtuosity of resignation that was to come.

Wood's liner notes speak volumes.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

MI0000873828.jpg

Liner notes by Mike Zwerin talking about how his jazz - cynicism was totally defeated by hanging with The Cowsills for a few days and realizing that they were exactly the type of people and act that they projected to the public.

Musically, anybody can quibble with the"what", bur I'll be damned if there's any quibbles with the "how"... I was surprised as hell to see that the album was produced by Bill & Bob Cowsill. The group vocals...geez, love/hate here, but objectively, as "section work" if the hate cannot accept the love, then further processing is probably needed. 

Fuck The Partridge Family. Nothin personal, just sayin'.

Couple of years ago saw the Bob Cowsill band when it was on a bill with my wife's band.  They were pretty good.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

28b8f12309e9ac4afaade20e5d04ffc2_XL.jpg

If this band had gained traction...or recorded for Milestone...Phil Woods does not sound uncomfortable with the electronics on his horn or in his band, not at all.

It might be follow - the - leader Weather Report, but I mmuch prefer it to so much of the virtuosity of resignation that was to come.

Wood's liner notes speak volumes.

I have this record; it's good!

Now playing:

Hans Reichel/Eroc "kino" (Teldec, Germany) 

1 hour ago, rdavenport said:

$_57.JPG

Another reissue, on Fresh Sound. Another player I've never knowingly heard, Charlie Mariano.

You'll need to remedy that ASAP. He has a decent sized discography his quartet album on Candid is a good one. There's a much more recent album with Vic Juris I particularly like - Savannah Samurai and An American in Italy.

right now spinning 

Duke Pearson -- Sweet honey bee (BN Liberty mono)