What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Kenny Clarke Francy Boland and company------The Golden 8------(BN music matters 33)

not sure why this should be so obscure a Blue Note release.  Admittedly doesn't sound like anything else from blue note.  The recording is top-notch but certainly not  like anything done by Rudy Van Elder.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11XRoxD2WBL.jpg

Anthony Braxton and the Three Rivers Tri-Centric Ensemble, Ensemble (Pittsburgh) 2008. Excellent concert organized by saxophonist Ben Opie featuring some of Braxton's older creative orchestra songs. Braxton conducts and plays. There's also a CD-R featuring a high school ensemble doing a great job on some Braxton tunes. 

On March 26, 2016 at 0:28 PM, JSngry said:

MI0000873828.jpg

Liner notes by Mike Zwerin talking about how his jazz - cynicism was totally defeated by hanging with The Cowsills for a few days and realizing that they were exactly the type of people and act that they projected to the public.

Musically, anybody can quibble with the"what", bur I'll be damned if there's any quibbles with the "how"... I was surprised as hell to see that the album was produced by Bill & Bob Cowsill. The group vocals...geez, love/hate here, but objectively, as "section work" if the hate cannot accept the love, then further processing is probably needed. 

Fuck The Partridge Family. Nothin personal, just sayin'.

I saw this album sitting in a second hand shop the other day. I remember seeing Bill Cowsill performing covers in a pub back in the early 90s during one of the many mini comebacks he had in those days. It was sad and kind of surreal.

Now spinning: Giorgio Gaslini Jean-Luc Ponty...et al (PA USA)

&

Philly Joe Jones/Dameronia, Look Stop Listen

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

63998488_m.jpg

Ted Curson: Urge (Fontana Japan)

Worth listening to for Curson and the rhythm section.

Great set. 

NP

Rey Scott-----Timbre Tambre -----(Planetary Lights)  

R-2357482-1279266291.jpeg.jpg

Sometime inmate of the best jail in the world leads this modal cum fusion cum Afro sounding date. Mid 70s : nice .

Edited by Clunky

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:54 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Tom Harrell - Play Of Light (Blackhawk). Not really digging this one much, especially the guitarist, Poor Eddie Gomez's bass sounds terrible.

20131203092139.jpg

It was badly recorded, but the music was good, or better than good.  That was a long time ago, I think 1981...

117856882_amazoncom-bud-shank-plays-musi

Bud Shank------plays music from today's movies--------( World Pacific/Liberty)

Enjoyable lounge music with some attempt at soloing by Bud on most tracks. Easy listening alright but quite nice in own way. Sounds very dated in good way. Bud produced some decent music in the 60s on various albums such as this Wind mills of your mind,  Michelle etc. I doubt I'd need them all but worth keeping.

58 minutes ago, Clunky said:

May be it was just bad luck but I've had this session on an Atlantic original and original UK LP issue , both were dire sounding. The recent  'Japanese ' Euro version on CD sounded just so much better.

Swings like the clappers, though audience chatter intrusive in places.