Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Mike Westbrook 'Love/Dream and Variations' (Transatlantic). Been after this one for a while..

Love that one, the trombones especially...my first Westbrook album back in late '76. Due a CD release - my vinyl suffers badly from distortion as each side progresses (post-oil crisis thin vinyl!). Might have been out in Japan at some point (most things have).  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Love that one, the trombones especially...my first Westbrook album back in late '76. Due a CD release - my vinyl suffers badly from distortion as each side progresses (post-oil crisis thin vinyl!). Might have been out in Japan at some point (most things have).  

This one doesn't have a mark on it, zero distortion and sounds great. LP weight surprisingly heavy for the vintage as well - these Transatlantics are OK. Must get hold of that other one he did around that time for this label for the Brass Band.

Side 2 particularly good - quite groovy.

With the LP deck now back up to scratch the CDs will be taking a secondary place..

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

This one doesn't have a mark on it, zero distortion and sounds great. LP weight surprisingly heavy for the vintage as well - these Transatlantics are OK. Must get hold of that other one he did around that time for this label for the Brass Band.

Side 2 particularly good - quite groovy.

With the LP deck now back up to scratch the CDs will be taking a secondary place..

Glad you got a decent copy. I really like start of side 2 - the lamenting trombone (Rutherford?) sliding into 'Creole Love Call' (first heard that tune on this record...one of the things that made me want to explore Ellington). A nice Latin thing with electric piano at the end of Side 1; and a well paced climax at the end of 2...your groovy bit?.

Was the other Transatlantic 'For the Record'? That one has eluded me too.  

Yes, the other one on Transatlantic was 'For The Record', with the red cover.

Indeed it is Paul Rutherford featured on the first track of side 2, leading into the 'Interlude' of 'Creole Love Call.' The final track 'Finale' is a very catchy riff - something that Mike W. has a particular knack for.

Next up on UK CBS - got slated when it came out but I like it. Nice punchy sound on vinyl too..

Miles_Davis_The_Man_With_The_Horn.jpg

Jimmy Giuffre ------1961--------( ECM)

this album has intrigued for years but I found the dry thin sound very distracting. However with my current cartridge/phono stage ( upgraded over the past 18 months ) the whole set has now come alive at last so I can hear what's going on.