Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

John Stevens - Spontaneous Music Ensemble - (Marmalade, UK orig)

one of my favorites. The new CD reissue does it even better by adding two further cuts.

I just upgraded my old polydor copy to a NM marmalade copy a year or two ago!  Agreed; great album!!

This is what I spun over the last few nights:

Bobby Hutcherson "components" (blue note, stereo NY USA)

Blue Mitchell "out of the blue"(riverside, mono USA)

Donald Byrd "a new perspective" (blue note, mono NY ear)

Joe Henderson "mode for Joe" (blue note, stereo NY)

Toru Takemitsu "seasons/toward" (Deutsche Grammophone, Japan). Ultra cool original issue with 4 clear art inserts 

2 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

This is what I spun over the last few nights:

Bobby Hutcherson "components" (blue note, stereo NY USA)

Blue Mitchell "out of the blue"(riverside, mono USA)

Donald Byrd "a new perspective" (blue note, mono NY ear)

Joe Henderson "mode for Joe" (blue note, stereo NY)

Toru Takemitsu "seasons/toward" (Deutsche Grammophone, Japan). Ultra cool original issue with 4 clear art inserts 

:tup!

9 hours ago, rdavenport said:

Yes, a bit embarrassing to have waited over 20 years to get round to it, I admit.

I first heard it at the age of 19 in 1959, two years after it was recorded. In those days it took at least that time for US recordings to appear here. I was already well into the work of each of the leaders, and thought it a very strange pairing - still do, I suppose. But some very beautiful music there, all the same. In recent years I've been fascinated to hear the alternative takes that appeared on the CD and which, of course, weren't there on the original Riverside LP.

It took me quite some time to appreciate Monk; in my early days of listening, when CDs were expensive and my disposable income was small, he was fairly low down on my list of purchasing priorities, as he didn't immediately grab my ears

I like the album anyway, a very nice version of Round Midnight (are there any bad ones?) probably the highlight for me 

Edited by rdavenport

Easy_Living_%28Sonny_Rollins_album%29.jp

One of those records where how much your can enjoy it is probably governed by how much you are disappointed in it.

There is enjoyment to be had though, from both Sonny and Tony Williams.

As for the disappointmen that this was/is not a/the Sonny Is God record, oh well. Sometimes forrest, sometimes trees, just be there where it is, and realize that nobody before during or since could deliver the title tune even remotely like that.

113533162.jpg

This record should not have been made. Not this type of record, just not this record. It too often sounds like Sonny is a sideman on his own record, a punched in sideman at that. There are also moments where he sounds relaxed-y enough, but....no.

Lose Lee Ritenour, Patrice Rusheen, and Billy Cobham (from this record)  and lose Wade Marcus (from any record afaic), bring in, say, George Duke and Tony Williams, play the same material live in the studio, and even if it doesn't click, at least it won't be this.

But this is this, so oh well. Back on the shelf for another 10 or more years. This may be the last time, hopefully it is.

UEMA_MGE26013__52603__01152009123915-289

Don Freidman, Barre Phillips, & Daniel Humiar...did not know such a record existed onto last year. On Emarcy, no less. Notes by Hall Overton.

works very well as a companion album to Friedman's Metamorphosis, an album which seemed too unique to not have a companion somewhere. Well, hereit is.