• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

UEMA_MGE26013__52603__01152009123915-289

Don Freidman, Barre Phillips, & Daniel Humiar...did not know such a record existed onto last year. On Emarcy, no less. Notes by Hall Overton.

works very well as a companion album to Friedman's Metamorphosis, an album which seemed too unique to not have a companion somewhere. Well, hereit is.

^ great record. Perhaps a little more rugged -- and in part due to the recording quality -- than Metamorphosis, at least in my opinion.

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I had the first issue with the silk screen "feeling" cover and later Leo gave me a new one with a slick cover, saying the sound had been improved. I haven't compared them, though I still have both.

Lots of studio time needed to improve this material.

I also have both issues. The "regular" is on Kabell Records (Kabell 1 - blue label) which of course was (is) Leo Smith's own private label. But the one with the silk screened cover (blank back cover; notes included in a small stapled booklet) is on TMS Records (TMS 1000 - yellow label).

Was "TMS" the originally intended name of his label and did he change this for the second pressing, somewhere between 1972 and 1975 (release of Reflectativity), or is there another story? Anyway, I've never been troubled by the pressing quality of either of these. And I love the music very, very much.

On September 6, 2016 at 6:54 AM, corto maltese said:

I also have both issues. The "regular" is on Kabell Records (Kabell 1 - blue label) which of course was (is) Leo Smith's own private label. But the one with the silk screened cover (blank back cover; notes included in a small stapled booklet) is on TMS Records (TMS 1000 - yellow label).

Was "TMS" the originally intended name of his label and did he change this for the second pressing, somewhere between 1972 and 1975 (release of Reflectativity), or is there another story? Anyway, I've never been troubled by the pressing quality of either of these. And I love the music very, very much.

I've wondered what the story is too. My copy has the TMS label and a Kabell sticker covering up the TMS reference on the cover. There's also a small square of type pasted on the back referencing Kabell. Great music whatever the presentation is.

Yeah, and this was big shit back in the day, all these unreleased alternates.(Jerry Valburn?).Obsolete now, surely, except as an object. Between Lester on the cover and the dog on the label, it's still a keeper here.

But you know how a bootleg looks like a bootleg, even the good ones, and how when you find one in a regular store you get a kind of surge of eeirdness, like seeing cleavage in church? Well, yeah, that with this. You know you shouldn't,  but dammed if you won't. 

On 9/3/2016 at 6:12 PM, JSngry said:

Lose Lee Ritenour, Patrice Rusheen, and Billy Cobham (from this record)  and lose Wade Marcus (from any record afaic), bring in, say, George Duke and Tony Williams, play the same material live in the studio, and even if it doesn't click, at least it won't be this.

On 9/4/2016 at 1:07 AM, sidewinder said:

Wade Marcus - He was all over the place back in the 1970s. The first jazz primer book I ever got was full of his stuff too ! His 'Red China Blues' arrangement for Miles was OK..

Wade Marcus did the arrangements for Bobby Hutcherson's one-and-only dud (IMHO, of course), Natural Illusions (Blue Note, 1972).  

Even the cover art was bad. . . 

hutche_bobb_naturalil_102b.jpg

A red-skinned alien holding up a red lightbulb to a disembodied face?  What???  :unsure:

Edited by HutchFan