What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Wade Marcus did the arrangements for Bobby Hutcherson's one-and-only dud (IMHO, of course), Natural Illusions (Blue Note, 1972).  

Even the cover art was bad. . . 

hutche_bobb_naturalil_102b.jpg

A red-skinned alien holding up a red lightbulb to a disembodied face?  What???  :unsure:

I think that's supposed to be an next-gen apple/serpent tongue/Eden thing, but either way, yeah about Wade Marcus, got him from a business pov, but never felt him from a musical one.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

But you know how a bootleg looks like a bootleg, even the good ones, and how when you find one in a regular store you get a kind of surge of eeirdness, like seeing cleavage in church? Well, yeah, that with this. You know you shouldn't,  but dammed if you won't. 

This. 

On 15.8.2016 at 1:31 AM, JSngry said:

220px-Bud_Shank_%26_the_Sax_Section.jpg

In spite of wanting to (for sentimental reasons) I find myself unable to like, enjoy, or even particularly appreciate this record. Not even Ray Brown can make it move, or even give it the illusion of movement. It makes me appreciate Stan Kenton as a motivating force, because the approach here is Kenton-ian in terns of section work, but by god, Stan Kenton got his bands to PLAY,  ok? These shit is just....AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH.

OTOH, coolest picture of Bill Perkins, ever, on the back cover.

UPAC_PJ10110__53256__01152009024454-7912

I remember I once had a Liberty LP reissue (that omitted two tracks, for whatever reason), and being dissapointed - a rather routine affair, uninteresting repertoire, played well, but without the spark you expect from these players. Superfluous.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

I remember I once had a Liberty LP reissue (that omitted two tracks, for whatever reason), and being dissapointed - a rather routine affair, uninteresting repertoire, played well, but without the spark you expect from these players. Superfluous.

It didn't do anything for me either.   The lp was soon disposed of.  I hadn't realised it wasn't complete.

R-6554864-1421878123-3321.jpeg.jpg

Jacks Or Better by The Jimmy Russell Trio (Russell -orgsn, Hartshorne Alexander -  tenor, Speed Ahamed-drums) on Cuca Records out of Sauk City, Wisconsin.

About the players, I can find nothing, and what I can find of both the label and the town provide no indication whatsoever of who these guys were, why they were there, or why they were on that label.

The music itself is slightly idiosyncrayic but mostly typical lounge trio organ jazz of a definiely "local" flavor, which is why...what/where the hell was "local" here, and did anybody get out alive?

HeyBrandon, where the hee you brrn? Good to see you! 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

R-6554864-1421878123-3321.jpeg.jpg

Jacks Or Better by The Jimmy Russell Trio (Russell -orgsn, Hartshorne Alexander -  tenor, Speed Ahamed-drums) on Cuca Records out of Sauk City, Wisconsin.

About the players, I can find nothing, and what I can find of both the label and the town provide no indication whatsoever of who these guys were, why they were there, or why they were on that label.

The music itself is slightly idiosyncrayic but mostly typical lounge trio organ jazz of a definiely "local" flavor, which is why...what/where the hell was "local" here, and did anybody get out alive?

Hey Brandon, where the hell you been? Good to see you! 

Yeah....whoever the previous owner of that Pony side was knew better than to write their name on the cover. Clicks I don't mind, the occasional stuck needle, hey shit haopens, but this record either had coke snorted off of it or it got sneezed on more than one or maybe both, but the groove is, like, battered and scarred. Getting up to unstick a record every few minutes is just fucked up, and whoever did this knew better than to leave a trail.

They ought to have an America's Most Wanted for people who treat a record THIS badly, it's not like Pony Poindexter on Inner City is Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts, this damage was not incidental or inadvertant. Somebody needs to have that John Walsh dude on their ass, like, stat. 

Josie Records, otoh...8 bucks...how much would a non-abused copy cost? Store credit if you ever get one in, dammit.

Give me a fuckng fire extinguisher, this record needs some disciplining!

And wow, one just went on for 2-3 minutes and then fianally played through right after I wrote that. Spare the hose and spoil the record, right parents?

Just one more reminder that beasts run free disguised as humans. Beware.

Akira Miyazawa "yaname" (King, Japan wave jazz 1994 reissue). An original is nearly impossible to find; so this exact replica reissue from 1994 will suffice..much nicer then the early 80s King reissue.  Great album from 1962 with a very young Masahiko Sato!

Woody Shaw "in the beginning" (muse, USA). Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder for Blue Note but never issued at the time.  So that means this fantastic session can be had cheaply...I'm sure it would cost a small fortune if it ended up a Blue Note album given the cast(Joe Henderson, Larry Young, Joe Chambers, Herbie Hancock, etc)

1 hour ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Woody Shaw "in the beginning" (muse, USA). Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder for Blue Note but never issued at the time.  So that means this fantastic session can be had cheaply...I'm sure it would cost a small fortune if it ended up a Blue Note album given the cast(Joe Henderson, Larry Young, Joe Chambers, Herbie Hancock, etc)

:tup!

12 hours ago, JSngry said:
12 hours ago, JSngry said:

HeyBrandon, where the hee you brrn? Good to see you! 

Been in San Francisco for the last 12 years. (DC before that.) 

Got married, had a kid. Moved to Lawrence, KS last week to be closer to my folks, give the kid a yard, get away from crazy Bay Area cost-of-living.

That Marsh was the 2nd thing played on the hi-fi since we got unpacked.  

It appears I don't know how replies work since the site got updated either. Oh well.. 

On 9/9/2016 at 10:07 AM, soulpope said:

This Haig Trio recording with Gilbert Rovere and Kenny Clarke is nothing short of terrific ....

My Spotlite pressing is not very good, unfortunately. Mid 70's petroleum shortage and all that. Still some companies had good pressings. Not all though. Some really cheaped out.  I don't know how producers could live with putting such crap on the market. And I discovered that there was no point in taking them back to the store. The next one you got would be no better.  Of course you could get your money back, but then you wouldn't have the music at all. The 70's were a real crap shoot for pressing quality. 

Now (a good pressing, actually):

R-6676981-1424432686-3563.jpeg.jpg       

Edited by John Tapscott