• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://iscale.iheart.com/catalog/album/27319989?ops=fit(240%2C240)

Bobby Hackett - Hello Louis! Bobby Hackett Plays the Music of Louis Armstrong (Epic). A pretty interesting album from 1964, featuring tunes written by Louis, well-known and obscure. Steve Lacy is on board; this was the last time he recorded anything resembling dixieland jazz. I've read an interview in which he says that it was pretty late in the day for him to be playing stuff like this, and that he didn't play well. He solos on half the tracks, and I still think he's the most interesting soloist here except for Hackett, who plays with his usual casual excellence.

And I had never noticed until tonight that the second strain of "Gate Mouth Blues" is actually the off-color New Orleans Creole song "Kiss My F**cking Ass." It shows up a lot in New Orleans music - "Do What Ory Say," "Get It Right," "Up Jumped the Devil," etc.

Yes, the Sonic Arts Union is the best thing in that series indeed.

Saw MEV here in NY a few years ago. I was glad to experience it, but felt like the music didn't have as much verve as in decades past (long before I would've had the opportunity to see/hear them). On the other hand, I saw Richard Teitelbaum and Hugh Davies in concert about 15 years ago and it was superb.

Davies and Teitelbaum together?  Lucky you!  I'm afraid Vancouver does not quite match up to New York in terms of amount of cool shows :(

Apparently MEV will be returning to the "reckless abandonment" of their early years for this show - that's what the promo blurb says anyways - so I'm looking forward to how that goes.

Benny Golson night:

Benny Golson "the other side of" (riverside, mono USA DG)

Benny Golson "the modern touch" (riverside, mono USA DG)

Benny Golson "gone with Golson" (New Jazz, USA DG)

s-l225.jpg

Manny Albam----A Gallery of Gershwin-----(Coral)

Really only the reason I picked this up was to hear more Eddie Costa. He's one of 4 pianists - Hank Jones being the most notable. Some tracks feature all four pianists with orchestral backing. It's pretty soporific as a whole but Eddie Costa's wonderful lower register runs are something else. The record itself seems very brittle and I'm guessing probably isn't actually vinyl.

On 27-9-2016 at 3:10 PM, clifford_thornton said:

I like it. The complete Crypt set on Matchless is worth seeking out as well. And MEV is fun.

Funny thing about this record is that on most copies the labels are switched, so that many listeners who know AMM and MEV only from this LP, will have a complete wrong idea about the music of both groups.

13 hours ago, corto maltese said:

Funny thing about this record is that on most copies the labels are switched, so that many listeners who know AMM and MEV only from this LP, will have a complete wrong idea about the music of both groups.

When I found the album 15 years or so ago, I figured it out pretty quickly from reading the liner notes. The random silences inserted into the AMM side (and mentioned in the notes) make it obvious.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, I think that by the time I picked up a copy I was already aware of the mistake.

Now, on that tip:

Musica Elettronica Viva - Friday - (Polydor, UK orig)

Oooh...that one bugs me.  I'm totally happy with the alga marghen CD, yet I know it wouldn't take too much to buy an original ($200 or so?) so sometimes I think about it.    However if I follow that logic with every record I like I'd have to remortgage my house :0