Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AGARIC1991EP_PROD.jpg

Borbetomagus / Shaking Ray Levis (Agaric 10").This also was issued as a picture disc; that's what I'm listening to. These pieces are well-shaped noise improvisations.

Dennis Palmer of the Shaking Ray Levis died four years ago tonight, and I wanted to listen to something to remember and honor him. He also painted the cover art. RIP, Dennis.

Cannonball Live In New York - 1962 with Yusef Lateef and Joe Zawinul (plus Nat, Sam Jones and Louis Hayes) - just fabulous. This is newly repressed vinyl courtesy of Universal's Back To Black series and includes a digital download voucher. But who needs that when there's the vinyl? The music fairly punches through my speakers.

Cannonball Live.png

well, i saw it today, did not buy, but saw it

Image result for yodel in hi fi discogs

its RVG stamped!!!!!!

can this win the award as most least desirable rvg stamped album lol

On 2/13/2017 at 6:27 PM, John Tapscott said:

R-1183970-1346392322-6282.jpeg.jpg

would u say this is the definitive version of the sessions, do these sound better than the old savoy discs.  i use this one and like it but have always wanted the savoys too

Recently I purchased the lp of Horace Parlan's Up & Down (http://www.elemental-music.com/erlp1036-horace-parlan-up-down-indd/), and discovered a mastering error.  The opening track on Side 2 (The Other Part of Town) is missing the very start of the track (one pickup note, but still important!).  This is NOT missing on several versions of the record (part of the Mosaic records Horace Parlan collection, and the Japanese TOCJ cd series).  The same error DOES seem to be on the RVG cd from 2009 (at least on Tidal streaming). Has anyone got the original pressing of this?  I'm curious whether the error crept in later.   

Any opinions on this Elemental series of Blue Note LP reissues?  My local Half Price Books has a number of them.  They sound pretty good, if not to "Music Matters" quality, certainly.  However, this error makes me wonder what their sources might be (digital files??), since it's the same problem as on the RVG.

370543719483.jpg

Alonzo Levister - Manhattan Monodrama (Debut). I found this record in a junk shop in Savannah around 20 years ago. I always thought it was interesting, but tonight it seems more than that - really excellent, well-crafted music. "Third Stream," maybe, and that implies "pretentious" to some folks, but there's none of that here - the music is natural-sounding, personal, and expressive.

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

370543719483.jpg

Alonzo Levister - Manhattan Monodrama (Debut). I found this record in a junk shop in Savannah around 20 years ago. I always thought it was interesting, but tonight it seems more than that - really excellent, well-crafted music. "Third Stream," maybe, and that implies "pretentious" to some folks, but there's none of that here - the music is natural-sounding, personal, and expressive.

Debut Records as in Mingus' Debut label?