• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

370543719483.jpg

Alonzo Levister - Manhattan Monodrama (Debut). I found this record in a junk shop in Savannah around 20 years ago. I always thought it was interesting, but tonight it seems more than that - really excellent, well-crafted music. "Third Stream," maybe, and that implies "pretentious" to some folks, but there's none of that here - the music is natural-sounding, personal, and expressive.

ah, thanks for the reminder on this one -- would love to check it out.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I've had that record on my "To Get" list for a long time. I've never heard it, but I bet it's great.  What do you think, optatio?

This extraordinary pianist with a remarkable vita is one of the most interesting and capable new improvisers, committed to the avant-garde as well as the tradition. His playing is complex, he is interested in polymetric structures. His first LP is for repeated listening.

2 hours ago, optatio said:

This extraordinary pianist with a remarkable vita is one of the most interesting and capable new improvisers, committed to the avant-garde as well as the tradition. His playing is complex, he is interested in polymetric structures. His first LP is for repeated listening.

Many thanks! :tup 

23 hours ago, paul secor said:

Debut Records as in Mingus' Debut label?

Yes, although I know this question has already been answered. Levister did some "music director" type work for Debut - arranging and conducting on several sessions. Later in life he did a lot of commercial arranging/composing - Motown, Verve, Broadway, commercials. Manhattan Monodrama seems to be the only time he was given the freedom to write and record whatever he wanted. It looks like one track showed up on a Debut CD collection, but it's otherwise un-reissued.

lewisBN1208.jpg

George Lewis - Concert! (BN NYC). Found this one this afternoon. I had just about given up on finding a decent mono copy - every one I had previously come across was fake stereo. It sounds really good for a live recording of the time - RVG mastered, although he didn't do the recording. This is the afternoon set from a 1954 Bakersfield, California concert; the evening set was issued on Storyville.

2 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

Yes, although I know this question has already been answered. Levister did some "music director" type work for Debut - arranging and conducting on several sessions. Later in life he did a lot of commercial arranging/composing - Motown, Verve, Broadway, commercials. Manhattan Monodrama seems to be the only time he was given the freedom to write and record whatever he wanted. It looks like one track showed up on a Debut CD collection, but it's otherwise un-reissued.

Also the composer of Slow Dance on Traning In.

I've seen something similar on a few Impulse issues. 

A number of Blue Notes bore a small "For Export Only" labels.  

Quite a lot of US Columbia issues were marketed in the UK with every mention of Columbia blacked out with marker pen and a with a black circular sticker around the edge of the label.  

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

I've seen something similar on a few Impulse issues. 

A number of Blue Notes bore a small "For Export Only" labels.  

Quite a lot of US Columbia issues were marketed in the UK with every mention of Columbia blacked out with marker pen and a with a black circular sticker around the edge of the label.  

28425719mu.jpg

28425672je.jpg

JOHN COLTRANE: ASCENSION. MCA RECORDS AS-95 [1980]

28425815nk.jpg

Engraved stamp on front cover above right: "Produced for GERMANY"

28425870vm.jpg

Sticker on back cover at the bottom right: „EXPORT ONLY. FOR SALE OUTSIDE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES ONLY.“

Charlie Parker, All Star Sextet (Royal Roost). 12 songs of Dial material from 1947. I've never heard a Dial 78 or Dial ten inch or LP, but this Roost late 1950s reissue is the best sounding version of this material that I have heard. 

Edited by kh1958

1 hour ago, optatio said:

28427931oi.jpg

ARCHIE SHEPP – HORACE PARLAN: EN CONCERT, 1rst SET. 52E RUE EST RE 015 [1987]

Thanks for posting this, I only recently heard the Steeplechase duo recordings and the idea of both stretching out more on a similar program is very appealing.  Then I found the CD issue which is two discs worth, and I was sold. Hopefully Amazon's one copy was available when I clicked "purchase".