What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Tony Scott - THE MODERN ART OF JAZZ original SEECO stereo. Bill Evans and Paul Motian as sidemen. Is this how they met?

I also have Scott's FREE BLOWN JAZZ, co-credited to Jimmy Knepper, on CARLTON. Both LPs recorded on the same day, Nov.16,1957. I reckon both labels were under the same umbrella, or else one sold half of the session to another. Same exact personnel on both albums. 

Nice music. Is it on cd?

R-5409988-1392655391-3588.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Dmitry

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ouch, so many originally-unissued tracks, more than enough for a third album. I seriously recommend picking up those two records or better yet, this 2cd set. I might just spring for it myself. Some really interesting stuff there. I wish Scott had recorded more. He was a force. BE contributions are largely secondary to the brass and clarinet front end, but he does provide elegant and thoughtful solos here and there.

fwiw, Scott footed the entire bill for that session and then dealt it out in pieces to whatever label he could made a deal with. Very entrepreneurial!

Besides the Seeco & Carlton, there was another portion released on the Perfect label, some Columbia sub-subsidiary, My Kind Of Jazz.

s-l1600.jpg

First, thanks WGN Library, sounds like an unplayed copy to me!

Second, hearing the Septet after spending the last week or two revisiting Lumpy Gravy in more detail is a revelation. Now I get where the "Oh No" theme or row or whatever it is that Zappa extrapolates so much out of comes from. Not quite stolen from, but more than a little influence, let's put it that way.

s-l1600.jpg

First, thanks WGN Library, sounds like an unplayed copy to me!

Second, hearing the Septet after spending the last week or two revisiting Lumpy Gravy in more detail is a revelation. Now I get where the "Oh No" theme or row or whatever it is that Zappa extrapolates so much out of comes from. Not quite stolen from, but more than a little influence, let's put it that way.

47 minutes ago, paul secor said:

R-9844177-1487251535-3415.png.jpg

The Be-Bop Keyboard Masters (Vogue)

I really enjoy Wade Legge's solo cd. His work with Rollins and Mingus was also first rate. Too bad he died so very young.

STUDIO TRIESTE I'm spinning this one, and lovin' it. What a wonderful record! The playing, the arranging by Don Sebesky, are first class. Hubert Laws is shinning on Django. And Chet BAker is in fine shape. Just bought it a couple of weeks ago. This will be one of my favorites.

hqdefault.jpg

12 hours ago, Dmitry said:

STUDIO TRIESTE I'm spinning this one, and lovin' it. What a wonderful record! The playing, the arranging by Don Sebesky, are first class. Hubert Laws is shinning on Django. And Chet BAker is in fine shape. Just bought it a couple of weeks ago. This will be one of my favorites.

… ditto … just spinning also ...

28650696lz.jpg

28650699bw.jpg

CHET BAKER - JIM HALL - HUBERT LAWS: STUDIO TRIESTE. CTI/METRONOME 0063.051 [1982]

Note: This copy was a special edition for members of the book club "Büchergilde Gutenberg" of the German Trade Union (DGB) in the eighties. I have just removed the price sticker: 17,90 DM!

Edited by optatio

1 hour ago, optatio said:

… ditto … just spinning also ...

CHET BAKER - JIM HALL - HUBERT LAWS: STUDIO TRIESTE. CTI/METRONOME 0063.051 [1982]

Note: This copy was a special edition for members of the book club "Büchergilde Gutenberg" of the German Trade Union (DGB) in the eighties. I have just removed the price sticker: 17,90 DM!

Is the German pressing also gatefold, like the original?

As far as I know, this was put on cd only in Japan, under Jim Hall's name, and is going for big bucks now.

Edited by Dmitry