Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

s-l225.jpg

When I bought the Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 3 - Miles at the Fillmore - I kept my vinyl double album to have the originally-issued edits. But I never listened to any of the vinyl again until tonight, when I spun "Friday Miles" - and thoroughly enjoyed it, awkward splices and all - in anticipation of something really ridiculous.

I few days ago, I spotted a single from these sessions on Ebay. I thought the idea of three and a half hours of music edited down to an hour and forty minutes edited down to a little over six minutes was so surreal that I bought it. The record arrived today, and it is indeed cool and ridiculous. "Friday Miles" is a solid 3:27 of "Bitches Brew" from that night - one chunk with no editing, apparently. "Saturday Miles" is 3:14, and I think that the edit is unique, not just a piece of the LP version. (But I need to check more carefully to make sure.) It starts with "Bitches Brew" in full cry, then moves on to bits of "It's About That Time," "Willie Nelson," and "The Theme."

Cool and ridiculous.

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

"Saturday Miles" is 3:14, and I think that the edit is unique, not just a piece of the LP version. (But I need to check more carefully to make sure.) It starts with "Bitches Brew" in full cry, then moves on to bits of "It's About That Time," "Willie Nelson," and "The Theme."

Yep - a unique edit, after listening to the LP side. But it's "Yesternow," not "It's About That Time" that's the second bit.

R-5859337-1435106447-2796.jpeg.jpg

My copy,btw, includes a track with the Basie orchestra, "Let Me Dream", of which the booklet of the Base Clef/Verve Mosaic box set says it was excluded from the record, just mentioned on the back cover! It's audibly there.

R-5859337-1435106458-6759.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Duke Ellington, Mood Ellington (Columbia ten inch). A 1949 release of 1948 material; this copy is a bit noisy but the sound of the Ellington Orchestra is extremely vivid.

Jackie McLean, Let Freedom Ring (Blue Note). A blue label, '70s reissue; but still I was happy to find it for $7, as it sounds good and is still marked Van Gelder in the inner groove.