Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Edmond Hall - Rumpus on Rampart Street (Rae-Cox)

Nice date - I had it on a budget Mount Vernon issue.

For a while, I had that one as well, because it has an alternative version of one tune. At some point it just seemed silly to keep both. But yeah, I like this album a lot.

8 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Sonny Rollins, Our Man in Jazz (RCA Living Stereo)

:tup The first Sonny Rollins album I listened to (probably wasn't the best place to start for someone new to the music, but it worked out) and still a favorite. My copy's a mono. It was long enough ago that I didn't have a stereo player. :)

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

:tup The first Sonny Rollins album I listened to (probably wasn't the best place to start for someone new to the music, but it worked out) and still a favorite. My copy's a mono. It was long enough ago that I didn't have a stereo player. :)

I assume you have this (Sonny Rollins Complete Live at the Village Gate)? https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Live-Village-Gate-1962/dp/B00W4L0MWO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1502556099&sr=1-1&keywords=sonny+rollins+village+gate

Jimmy Smith at the Organ, Volume 2 (Dark blue label, stereo issue).

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Frank Ricotti Quartet - Our Point Of View [CBS/Realm]

pleased to finally pick up a NM copy at an affordable price. Does anyone (Sidewinder?) know what the rather imposing cover image is of?

Image result for Frank Ricotti Quartet - Our Point Of View

I have that LP but other than admiring the fine ancient tree at the back I've never really wondered what was going on in the picture. Hooded effigy hanging from an ancient tree - in English folklore, traditionally associated with rural hangings of highwaymen or bandits. That's my interpretation anyway..:D

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Now:

Jazz Contemporaries -- Reasons In Tonality -- (Strata-East, US)

I have that one..........somewhere....:g

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Yeah - I did pick that up against my better judgement. I usually don't buy recordings that aren't authorized by the musician involved - especially if they're still living. I made an exception in this case, and I feel a little guilty when I listen to it.

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I have that LP but other than admiring the fine ancient tree at the back I've never really wondered what was going on in the picture. Hooded effigy hanging from an ancient tree - in English folklore, traditionally associated with rural hangings of highwaymen or bandits. That's my interpretation anyway..:D

Sounds plausible enough for me on a Sunday morning...lovely album even if the cover's macabre

Sunday morning with Ray Bryant and a fine tasting capuccino - what more can you ask for?

R-3062879-1313962830.jpeg.jpg

This includes Bryant's own first recording of his tune "Cubano Chant" - Cal Tjader's was done a few months earlier, and it had been Tjader who suggested the title and the use of a Cuban rhythm. Before that it had been a gospel tinged tune, and, ironically, Bryant recorded it with this feeling, but only later. Candido sometimes shifts the tumbao during the theme sections ..... not enough rehearsal time?

Edited by mikeweil

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Sounds plausible enough for me on a Sunday morning...lovely album even if the cover's macabre

Lots of folklore influences on those old CBS Realm covers. I guess that whole thing was 'in the air' at the time (in fact it was - I remember it). Other examples I cam think of are the Ray Russell 'Dragon Hill' and 'Rights and Rituals'.

Round my part of the country I can think of at least a couple of spots which to this day are named after old highwayman hanging spots. Prominent spots as a lesson to the locals and travellers. :unsure:

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Lots of folklore influences on those old CBS Realm covers. I guess that whole thing was 'in the air' at the time (in fact it was - I remember it). Other examples I cam think of are the Ray Russell 'Dragon Hill' and 'Rights and Rituals'.

Round my part of the country I can think of at least a couple of spots which to this day are named after old highwayman hanging spots. Prominent spots as a lesson to the locals and travellers. :unsure:

I'll have to look closer at my Dragon Hill (the only other i have) No Hangman's Hill around here unless Ally Pally has a pre-BBC history of summary justice

John Coltrane, Black Pearl (Prestige, gold label mono)

Don Patterson, Donny Brook (Prestige, purple label stereo). With Sonny Stitt, "Blue Grant" and Billy James.

23 hours ago, paul secor said:

Yeah - I did pick that up against my better judgement. I usually don't buy recordings that aren't authorized by the musician involved - especially if they're still living. I made an exception in this case, and I feel a little guilty when I listen to it.

I agree, except this set is too good for scruples.