Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

Checking out Clay Hammond's history, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Hammond , he never made it big (like so many others), but he had quite a varied career.

Paul,"never made it big" is aptly described (and synonymous for a number of Southern Soul voices .... from the shadows .....) - nevertheless Clay Hammond made a number of superb 45`s for Kent which are all amassed on this excellent CD

78647_01_360.jpg

btw having here Z.Z. Hill`s 45 output for Kent is an additional bonus .... from my side highly recommended ....

A few more Soul goodies for the road .... :

accea83a16.jpg

Billy "Guitar" Davis "As I Grow Old" (A&M Records 1105)       1969

128c12d5ca.jpg

Thomas Bailey "I Need You (Most Of All)" (Stone 361)        1968

2244ada290.jpg

J.B. Troy "I`m Really Thankful" (Musicor MU-1210)      1966 .... super Johnny Northern song and the horns sound very much like originating south of the Mason-Dixon line ....

Edited by soulpope

R-1306140-1223045881.jpeg.jpg  Barker2205ber.jpg

Geri Allen - Homegrown (Minor Music)

The Fabulous Banjo of Danny Barker (Period mono)

Both of these selections have to do with my periodic record purges - something I have to do, since I live in a very small house and keep buying records. I got rid of the Geri Allen in my last purge, and instantly regretted it. Today I bought back what I think is the same copy that I got rid of six months ago. I'm glad to have it back.

I pulled the Danny Barker LP off the shelf and put it in the stack to sell, because I'm working on the next purge and it's frankly a kind of corny album. But I decided to listen to it first, and I just can't part with it. Corny it is, but I love Danny and I love this album.

R-2388617-1281138944.jpeg.jpg

R-1656378-1237484544.jpeg.jpg

I guess O.C. Smith was the last of the big band singers (he was with Count Basie from 1961-63) to go on to have some crossover success in the pop music market.  He had such a great voice and I'm surprised/disappointed that he did not have a bigger career.  The first album here (from 1968) contains his "greatest hit", "Little Green Apples", as well as some good covers of such songs as "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay" and even "Honey (I Miss You)" (which was a hit for either Bobby Sherman or Bobby Goldsboro - I always get those two mixed up).  The second album (from 1967) was supposedly one of those "live in the studio before an invited audience" recordings.  He was accompanied by Jack Wilson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown, Jimmie Smith with Larry Bunker added on vibes on some songs.  A fine recording and probably the most jazz oriented of his Columbia albums.

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

R-1306140-1223045881.jpeg.jpg  Barker2205ber.jpg

Geri Allen - Homegrown (Minor Music)

The Fabulous Banjo of Danny Barker (Period mono)

Both of these selections have to do with my periodic record purges - something I have to do, since I live in a very small house and keep buying records. I got rid of the Geri Allen in my last purge, and instantly regretted it. Today I bought back what I think is the same copy that I got rid of six months ago. I'm glad to have it back.

I pulled the Danny Barker LP off the shelf and put it in the stack to sell, because I'm working on the next purge and it's frankly a kind of corny album. But I decided to listen to it first, and I just can't part with it. Corny it is, but I love Danny and I love this album.

That Geri Allen solo piano record is fantastic -- only her second LP as a leader, coming on top of "The Printmakers," which is even better. 

1200x630bb.jpg

Side 2 only, and mainly just for this song, which I have not listened to in years and years.

It works so beautifully as a ballad (I'd say even better than the hit version).  I wonder if many singers even know there are lyrics to this tune, because it does deserve to be covered by other singers.

R-8921708-1475794930-4179.jpeg.jpg

Dr. C.J. Johnson - In an Old Time Song Service (Savoy). Wax 'n' Fax Records in Atlanta has a small, but rich gospel section, with lots of turnover. And all the gospel records are four dollars. The title of this album attracted me right away when I spotted it today, and the notes on the back convinced me that I had to have it. I was right - this 1965 recording is remarkable. Dr. Johnson's idea was to record an album of "old-style" (really, early 20th century) spirituals with his Atlanta congregation, accompanied only by foot stomping and clapping. There's even one of those eerie, drawn-out lining hymns, where the preacher sings a line, which is answered by the congregation. Maybe I'm overestimating this album due to the impact it's making on me on this first hearing, but I would say that it rivals some of Alan Lomax's field recordings of spirituals made in Mississippi in the 1940s and 50s.

71lXGx9tRjL._SL1280_.jpg

My copy is a mono version, but the album cover does state:  This monophonic microgroove recording is playable on monophonic and stereo phonographs.  It cannot become obsolete.  So take that, iTunes -- Capitol Records personally guaranteed that vinyl will never be obsolete!!!  It's inconceivable!!!

cover.jpg

Recorded in June 1970 for MPS.

Earlier today .... :

Pep_Brown2.jpg

Pep Brown „Is It All Over“ (Polydor 14176)         1973

e314835d49.jpg

Pep Brown „Are You Leavin Me/Think About The Children“ (Lava  1002)          1971

3698580f89.jpg

Pep Brown „I`m The One Who Needs You“ (Polydor PD-14204)        1973 .... another tremendous southern soul singer who didn`t make the breakthrough - listening to these superb 45`s recorded either at Macon, Georgia or Muscle Shoals Studios and produced by Aland Walden (brother of former Otis Redding manager Phil Walden) quality was not an issue for sure ....

Edited by soulpope