• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Album of the day and of the month:

Little Band - Big Jazz (EROS)

littlebandbigjazz-candoli-cover-1600-1-l

Three mismatches last week:

Jazz Lab + Cecil Taylor Quartet - At Newport (DOXY, Mint) containing Red Garland - It's a new world.  I am the only one to blame, I guess :lol:.

Mats Gustafsson - Needs (Mint), badly pressed on both sides.

A tribute to Madge ( Esquire) containing  Moondog (Esquire) a.k.a. More Moondog (Prestige).  Great catch! I enjoy his first Columbia debut but I really liked this Prestige record.

R-3528689-1333999531.jpeg.jpg

A puzzling bit of art direction, using a 1930's era photo of BG on this album of recordings from 1950-52.  The still swinging Terry Gibbs is the only constant component in all the groups heard here, but other members included Teddy Wilson, Paul Smith, Johnny Smith, Mundell Lowe, Eddie Safranski and Don Lamond.

245184.JPG

Some more puzzling work from Columbia.  Side A of this LP contains songs from the 1974 Manhattan Wildlife Refuge album, while Side B's contents come from 1975's The Tiger of San Pedro.  It's better than nothing, I guess.  Good music from a seemingly forgotten band.

R-4926963-1379669049-5780.jpeg.jpg

Syl Johnson "Main Squeeze" (Hi Records H-78517)  .... a very late Hi Records release at the sundown of Southern Soul documents Syl Johnson`s strength with downtempo material on this excellent ballad co-written with songsmith Earl Randle .... compares favorably with the version from Nate Evans (Twinight TW-156) from 1972 - but that`s a different story ....

duke-ellington---3rd-sacred_med.jpeg

Recorded Oct. 24, 1973, exactly seven months before EKE would leave us.  A quite beautiful and, at times, moving concert.  Alice Babs has some beautiful moments and according to the liner notes, she had seen none of the music until a rehearsal held the day before the concert.  Paul Gonsalves was absent from the concert, for as the liner note writer Stanley Dance puts it, he "had obviously been entertained too extravagantly by London "friends"".

Edited by duaneiac

5 hours ago, duaneiac said:

R-3266586-1323069953.jpeg.jpg

Probably the weakest examples of bossa nova one might ever find, but there are still interesting reinterpretations of several familiar songs from the Kenton library here.

I dig the trombone writing on this album, as well as the narcoleptic metronomity of the playing. Seriously. Many Kenton "easy listening" albums (and there are a surprisingly large amount of them) are just stupid. But the best of them hit a very specific zone that I have come to both appreciate and enjoy. This is one of them, just a big hovering fog of bossatrombonemetronomicnarcolepsy with occasional trumpet rays of hot sun coming in and then leaving. In it's own way, it's got a kind of Eno quality to it. In its won way.

R-505038-1359149158-5579.jpeg.jpg

Pee Wee Russell - Ask Me Now (Impulse). First listen in a couple of years. A conundrum: I would prefer this album with another horn partner for Pee Wee other than Marshall Brown - but without Brown, this group and album wouldn't have happened. All in all, I'll put it in the "win" column, with some gorgeous moments.

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

R-505038-1359149158-5579.jpeg.jpg

Pee Wee Russell - Ask Me Now (Impulse). First listen in a couple of years. A conundrum: I would prefer this album with another horn partner for Pee Wee other than Marshall Brown - but without Brown, this group and album wouldn't have happened. All in all, I'll put it in the "win" column, with some gorgeous moments.

I agree with your take on this record, Jeff.

R-2708066-1475775202-5999.jpeg.jpg

Lester Young - Roy Eldridge - Harry Edison: Laughin' To Keep From Cryin'

Pres doesn't sound like he was at all well on this session, though he does get it together on "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone". On one or two other tunes, the ideas are there, even if the chops are not. I'm keeping this for Burt Goldblatt's cover photo, for Roy and Sweets - and for Pres.