Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-6868304-1428343337-8972.jpeg.jpg

The autographs are not part of the album art, but this was the only image I could find.  This is apparently a 1974 reissue of this 1964 album --

R-8246368-1458698891-1959.jpeg.jpg

I would have preferred just the musical setting pictured on these covers, but  there is a church organ style accompaniment added to the "four boys and a guitar".

Edited by duaneiac

R-3352586-1326984715.jpeg.jpg

Al Haig - Jazz Will-O'-the-Wisp (Everest). Much of this album superficially sounds like cocktail piano, but the more carefully you listen, the more it rewards you.

I know that there are better-sounding issues out there than this cheap 1974 budget-label record, but this is the one I've had for years, and it will do for me. I learned a lot about jazz from cheap Everest records. I think this is the last one I have left.

22 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

What is this?

Trane - hell, the whole Quartet - going all in, the stuff of which legends are made! Still hasn't been legitimately released, so that just adds to the legend!

I'll take things you play at a party when you want everybody to leave, but those who stay get to stay forever for $500, Alex.

654147.jpg

A 1972 album on Rod McKuen's Stanyan Records label.  Not her best, but there are some fine tracks including her covers of Bobbie Gentry's "Hurry, Tuesday Child", Laura Nyro's "Buy And Sell" and the Carpenters' "We've Only Just Begun".

R-4158772-1357243139-7514.jpeg.jpg

R-4158772-1357243156-3397.jpeg.jpg

Jean Turner may well be my favorite Kenton band singer.  I love June Christy, Anita O'Day and Chris Connor, but I mainly listen to the recordings each of them made after their time spent with the Kenton organization.  There's just not that much Jean Turner out there, so every little track is welcome.  Five of the tracks on this LP (including one by Ms. Turner) ale listed as being a "previously unreleased master".

JJA Presents the Music of Alec Wilder. A late-70s promotional record (in a plain white sleeve) with 18 of Wilder's pop songs, put out by his publisher. The recordings are mostly taken from Wilder's NPR show, American Popular Song, which featured one Wilder song every episode. The quality of both the songs and the performances vary, but the best tracks are very good. I particularly like Johnny Hartman's " 'S Gonna Be a Cold, Cold Day," Marlene Verplank's "The Winter of My Discontent," Mark Murphy's "When Yesterday I Loved I Loved You," Woody Herman's "Baggage Room Blues," and Tony Bennett's "The Lady Sings the Blues."