• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Rod Levitt Orchestra - Solid Ground [RCA Victor]

enjoying this new arrival very much. Purchase in part inspired by the Levitt thread here from a couple of years back that Google turned up for me

yeah, those Rod Levitt records are excellent. There's one album of 'pop' tunes that I don't have, but the rest are keepers for sure.

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, those Rod Levitt records are excellent. There's one album of 'pop' tunes that I don't have, but the rest are keepers for sure.

I've got "Insight" on the way.

And by way of contrast, now listening to

Moholo/Stabbins/Tippett - Tern [FMP].

It always annoyed me that the CD reissue was incomplete so I had to rectify that. Lovely set. Stabbins is under recorded in the freer context which is a shame.

On 8/26/2017 at 10:21 PM, jeffcrom said:

R-8921708-1475794930-4179.jpeg.jpg

Dr. C.J. Johnson - In an Old Time Song Service (Savoy). Wax 'n' Fax Records in Atlanta has a small, but rich gospel section, with lots of turnover. And all the gospel records are four dollars. The title of this album attracted me right away when I spotted it today, and the notes on the back convinced me that I had to have it. I was right - this 1965 recording is remarkable. Dr. Johnson's idea was to record an album of "old-style" (really, early 20th century) spirituals with his Atlanta congregation, accompanied only by foot stomping and clapping. There's even one of those eerie, drawn-out lining hymns, where the preacher sings a line, which is answered by the congregation. Maybe I'm overestimating this album due to the impact it's making on me on this first hearing, but I would say that it rivals some of Alan Lomax's field recordings of spirituals made in Mississippi in the 1940s and 50s.

This again. Now one of my favorite gospel albums on my shelves.