What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Arthur Taylor - Hard Cookin' (Prestige). A twofer from 1965 combining "Taylor's Wailers" and "Taylor's Tenors". Blue label RVG pressings for both records doesn't save these records from being an iffy-sounding LPs. Crackles galore and not the fullest sound. Presitge LPs quality really did vary all over the place back then. The labels are messed up too. The label for the 1st record, which is listed as Side A & Side B, are labeled Side C & Side D. The other record is similarly mis-marked.

The music is awesome though. :)

hqdefault.jpg

R-9273458-1477928558-6915.jpeg

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe Temperley & Jimmy Knepper - Just Friends (Hep 2003). I just found this in the LP rack still sealed. Derek Smith (p), Michael Moore (b) & Billy Hart (d) form the rhythm section. I didn't know that Michael Moore started out as bassist. :)

This session comes across as rather tame. The liner notes, by Alun Morgan, go on about how this is a record of old standards, which I guess was important to note back in 1979. The bass (as expected) sounds terrible, with that 70's twang.

JOE-TEMPERLEY-&-JIMMY-KNEPPER_JUST-FRIEN

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Joe Temperley & Jimmy Knepper - Just Friends (Hep 2003). I just found this in the LP rack still sealed. Derek Smith (p), Michael Moore (b) & Billy Hart (d) form the rhythm section. I didn't know that Michael Moore started out as bassist. :)

This session comes across as rather tame. The liner notes, by Alun Morgan, go on about how this is a record of old standards, which I guess was important to note back in 1979. The bass (as expected) sounds terrible, with that 70's twang.

That Michael Moore always has been a bassist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moore_(bassist)

It's not Michael Moore the reedman.

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

:)

220px-Michael_Moore_66%C3%A8me_Festival_

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

:)

220px-Michael_Moore_66%C3%A8me_Festival_

3 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

That Michael Moore always has been a bassist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moore_(bassist)

It's not Michael Moore the reedman.

Oh -- I get it now. It was early in the morning for me.

Just finished: Clark Terry - Everything's Mellow (Prestige/Moodsville/Status)

Everyting%27s_Mellow.jpg

Now playing: Paul Desmond - Pure Desmond (CTI). As is typical of most original CTI pressings - it looks brand new yet plays like a bowl of Rice Krispies. :) They're almost always on the lead in too. Beautiful album though. Worth getting past those crackles. I probably should pick up a CD copy of this someday.

Pure_Desmond.jpg

Just finished: Clark Terry - Everything's Mellow (Prestige/Moodsville/Status)

Everyting%27s_Mellow.jpg

Now playing: Paul Desmond - Pure Desmond (CTI). As is typical of most original CTI pressings - it looks brand new yet plays like a bowl of Rice Krispies. :) They're almost always on the lead in too. Beautiful album though. Worth getting past those crackles. I probably should pick up a CD copy of this someday.

Pure_Desmond.jpg

I was playing a track of that Desmond on the CTI box the other day. Superb stuff and fantastic playing by Torontonian Ed Bickert. Figured that I need to pick up that CTI CD as well.

The Anniversary box of 4CDs is great by the way too.

Red Garland - Strike Up The Band (Galaxy). Promo copy. George Coleman (ts), Julian Priester (tb), Red, Ron Carter (b) & Ben Riley (d). I'm laughing as George Coleman is doing some of that circular breathing stuff for effect. Seeing it live was interesting (the first time) but it got old pretty quick. Julian Preister seems to play in higher registers than most trombonists. 1979 bass sound - doesn't really even sound like Carter.

Strike-Up-The-Band-cover.jpg

Coleman Hawkins - The High And Mighty Hawk (Affinity). Great music in iffy sound. It sounds like the music is being played through a veil - very attenuated high end. I do dig "Bird Of Prey Blues", no matter the sound quality. I should pull out the London CD version I have to see if it's just this LP. Didn't Affinity simply grab the audio from wherever they could? Who owns those old Felsted masters these days?

XXX-469774.jpg

Gonz - Uranian Undertow (Plug). Gonz is Jerry Bergonzi (ts), Bruce Gertz (b) & Bob Gullotti (d). This 1984 recording is pretty interesting with some in & out travels. How can you not like an album with a tune called "Hank", written for Hank Mobley? Plus, it's not often that a record is titled for Uranus or anyone's anus for that matter.

I think that Bruce Gertz still has copies of his Plug records stashed at his house. I was able to buy a whole slew of these LPs from him a few years ago.

85251.jpg

Coleman Hawkins - The High And Mighty Hawk (Affinity). Great music in iffy sound. It sounds like the music is being played through a veil - very attenuated high end. I do dig "Bird Of Prey Blues", no matter the sound quality. I should pull out the London CD version I have to see if it's just this LP. Didn't Affinity simply grab the audio from wherever they could? Who owns those old Felsted masters these days?

XXX-469774.jpg

My old Felsted LP sounds great.

Bunky Green - Places We've Never Been (Vanguard). I'm having some bad luck with twangy basses today! :) Terrible bass sound aside, Bunky's playing here is very good. Really interesting compositions (all by Bunky except one by Bunky with guest pianist Ronald Kubelik). Randy Brecker plays great. I wonder if there's a dry version of this master tape? The reverb can get a bit distracting.

Reading Bunky's Wiki page, I was pleasantly surprised to see that he's still alive at 82. I wonder if he still plays?

green_bunky_placeswev_101b.jpg

8 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Teddy Edwards with Les McCann LTD. - It's About Time (Pacific Jazz PJ-6 mono). Nice deep groove pressing that seems to have weathered the passage of time in decent shape. Bass is a little shy though. Am I the only one who thinks Teddy's nasally tone makes him sound a bit like Charlie Rouse?

ItsAboutTime_l.jpg

"Nasally?" I would say "throaty" --- but certainly not "gargly":). Might be somewhat akin to Rouse circa 1960, when Rouse made that nice quartet album for Epic "Yeah!" or "Takin' Care of Business" (Jazzland). Later Rouse, I don't hear it.

Speaking of Rouse of that circa 1960 vintage, whatever happened to Seldon Powell? An excellent player, around then he shared half of an Epic album with Rouse. This compilation of Powell's Roost albums is quite good:

https://www.amazon.com/Go-First-Class-Complete-Sessions/dp/B000I2KJOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1506037661&sr=1-1&keywords=seldon+powell

5 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Bunky Green - Places We've Never Been (Vanguard). I'm having some bad luck with twangy basses today! :) Terrible bass sound aside, Bunky's playing here is very good. Really interesting compositions (all by Bunky except one by Bunky with guest pianist Ronald Kubelik). Randy Brecker plays great. I wonder if there's a dry version of this master tape? The reverb can get a bit distracting.

Reading Bunky's Wiki page, I was pleasantly surprised to see that he's still alive at 82. I wonder if he still plays?

green_bunky_placeswev_101b.jpg

Bunky's best album, I believe. The aspects of his approach that had a big effect on Steve Coleman and Greg Osby and Rudresh Mahanthappa are clear. The bassist is Eddie Gomez, what steps can anyone take?