What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Bunky's best album, I believe. The aspects of his approach that had a big effect on Steve Coleman and Greg Osby and Rudresh Mahanthappa are clear. The bassist is Eddie Gomez, what steps can anyone take?

I do like Bunky's Delos CD, "Healing The Pain" a lot. Maybe a bit more than this one.

Regarding the bass sound, I'm just glad that the recording engineers stopped recording bass directly into the soundboard and started mic'ing them again. It sounds so unnatural. Eddie is a great bassist but that twang twang twung stuff makes him sound like every other 70's era recorded bass.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really? I think I picked this one up for about 5 pounds, near mint. Shocked at how good it sounds as these Carrere reissues sometimes get bad press. Very good and hard swinging session indeed.

Followed by 'John Jenkins/Kenny Burrell' (Toshiba). Another humanly-affordable reissue.

Edited by sidewinder

On 9/21/2017 at 5:11 PM, Larry Kart said:

Speaking of Rouse of that circa 1960 vintage, whatever happened to Seldon Powell?

Pretty sure he had a pretty good life doing session work of all sorts, on that one Thad/Mel album, played on "The second race" iirc, not at all phased by all that gloriously goofy mess that Thad threw at him. A lesson in survival, in its own way, not a great solo, but then again, he didn't back down or away, he just played with the band. And he got paid for the night. Survival.

Another kind of survival, this time on Encounter Records (a very small but most uber-coll output of a label) from the early 70s, produced by Lloyd Price:

Because, Eddie Harris couldn't make all the Eddie Harris records, could he now!

But I like that shit, because, yes, derivative, intentionally so, but insincer, phony, fake, whatever, etc? Not as I hear it, again, not phased, just play the gig, play with the band, get paid, living being made, fair enough, imo.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Pretty sure he had a pretty good life doing session work of all sorts, on that one Thad/Mel album, played on "The second race" iirc, not at all phased by all that gloriously goofy mess that Thad threw at him. A lesson in survival, in its own way, not a great solo, but then again, he didn't back down or away, he just played with the band. And he got paid for the night. Survival.

Another kind of survival, this time on Encounter Records (a very small but most uber-coll output of a label) from the early 70s, produced by Lloyd Price:

Because, Eddie Harris couldn't make all the Eddie Harris records, could he now!

But I like that shit, because, yes, derivative, intentionally so, but insincer, phony, fake, whatever, etc? Not as I hear it, again, not phased, just play the gig, play with the band, get paid, living being made, fair enough, imo.

I like those latter-day Powell tracks too. In fact, they're not that far removed from how he played on some tracks from his Roost albums.

On 22/09/2017 at 11:41 PM, sidewinder said:

Followed by 'John Jenkins/Kenny Burrell' (Toshiba). Another humanly-affordable reissue.

I've this issue too. It sounds so different from the Conn. cd which has much more high frequency information. The Toshiba LP sounds fuller and arguably less thrilling perhaps even dull by comparison . I've kept both?

3 hours ago, Clunky said:

I've this issue too. It sounds so different from the Conn. cd which has much more high frequency information. The Toshiba LP sounds fuller and arguably less thrilling perhaps even dull by comparison . I've kept both?

Strange, didn’t sound that deficient to me at the high frequencies. In fact, much better all round than I was expecting. I have the Music Matters 2x45 and will have to check how that lines up. No doubt, even better still.

Edited by sidewinder