• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-3028341-1500748691-8415.jpeg.jpg

Charlie Christian / Wardell Gray - Tribute From Sweden (Fran Staterna). A Boris Rose production, disguised as a Swedish release to avoid legal repercussions. Christian gets side one; Wardell side two. The Wardell side, with the Benny Goodman Sextet and the Count Basie Seven, is all kinds of fabulous.

My cover looks like this, but is light pink rather than blue.

Any Christian there not available elsewhere? 

19 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-3028341-1500748691-8415.jpeg.jpg

Charlie Christian / Wardell Gray - Tribute From Sweden (Fran Staterna). A Boris Rose production, disguised as a Swedish release to avoid legal repercussions. Christian gets side one; Wardell side two. The Wardell side, with the Benny Goodman Sextet and the Count Basie Seven, is all kinds of fabulous.

My cover looks like this, but is light pink rather than blue.

Mine too.

Yes, disguised as a Swedish release, but very thinly so. Not lasting longer than until the first one who reads Swedish comes along.  ;)

At the top right it translates as "From the States, from Swedish Blue Station" (WTF?)
The insert at "Tribute from Sweden" says "These are lots of fourteen from the United States" (WTF??? 14 tracks??)
And below the pic it says "I am too tired to see anything where can we get something to drink?" (Any more questions? :lol:)

To the amusement (?) of those who have the LP, the Swedish babble below each tune sez thus:

Left column:

My foot is bleeding and is swollen
It's bad here
With more light
You said this was going to cost
Adjust the brake linings
A soft drink
Within an hour later

Right column:

I've got nothing to declare (at customs)
Are we going to stop overnight en route
Please change the oil
How much will the extra weight cost
Put this on the shelf
Can you repair this by any chance
A pillow linen bathroom mat

(WTF again???? Did they pillage a tourist's phrase book??)

As for what's not available elsewhere, I have not listened to the Christian side right now, but this discography ...

http://www.djangoreinhardt.info/charlie-christian-discography/

... provides some info on the titles (even rarer ones such as Song of the Islands, but others exist in multiple versions, of course) but does not give release information either. If the "hits" found there are anything to go by, most of the tracks on this LP come from Old Gold shows.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

12 hours ago, duaneiac said:

:tup!  Johnny Lytle made some terrific music, but he seems to be seldom remembered these days.

Yeah, I'm late to him but getting to know a few of his recordings now. I've liked everything I've heard so far from his 60s output

17 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Saw that McKusick on the list. Those Ike Quebec Blue Notes looked nice, alas a bit ‘rich’ for my taste. 

They're well out of my league

It took me more than 30 years to find a copy of this LP, the only reissue of all 16 sides Arnett Cobb recorded for Okeh 1950-1951. To make my collector's luck complete it was unexpensive, and is in good condition.

R-3840266-1346487254-5995.jpeg.jpgR-3840266-1346487263-6126.jpeg.jpg

R-3840266-1346487271-4505.jpeg.jpgR-3840266-1346487279-1519.jpeg.jpg

I wonder why Chronological Classics never reissued these; there are four more for Okeh from 1952 and six for Mercury, then eight for Atlantic, two of which are probably lost. Enough for another volume ....The Apollo sides cut before are all on a Delmark CD as well as on the Classics CD, but both these issues have a session the other CD has not, so completists need both.

Edited by mikeweil

3 hours ago, rdavenport said:

What have I missed?

this month's mail out from Leicester's finest (and that's not Claudio Ranieri). Quebec LPs at £200-£350 if you like ears

and, now playing (not from Leicester) 

The Chico Hamilton Quintet - Plays Selections From Bye Bye Birdie - Irma La Douce [Fontana]

I never fail to marvel at the groove of Chico's drumming, whatever the album

Edited by mjazzg