Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2348934-1363969058-9593.jpeg.jpg

Budapest Chamber Ensemble, Alban Berg's Kammerkonzert (Hungaroton). Great version from 1977 from top notch players. The Ligeti piece on side 2 compares nicely to the original.

2888164.jpg

Edward Vesala, Heavy Life (Leo). Vesala's U.S. album, with an all-American band, aside from Stanko plus Iro Haarla on one track. It's fun to hear Vesala's music cross the Atlantic. Nice showcases fro Reggie Workman and Chico Feeman.

R-1983538-1348256019-6276.jpeg.jpg

Steve Lacy, The Forest and the Zoo (Base). Homefromtheforest's old copy!

Should post this under Great Finds too but, I've been on a major Larry Davis (blues guitarist/vocalist) kick, having tracked down his Virgo 45s (never knew BB King had his own label, and chose Davis as his first release?). Anyway stumbled across another Davis 45 on ebay, on the True Soul label. Discogs said it was the guitarist, not the Philly-area soul singer, so I bit on Pourin Water on a Drowning Man b/w Tears of Sorrow.

As fine a singer as Davis was I didn't figure he'd make me forget Mr. Carr's rendition, but he handles it well in his own style, the cut is just hurt by dated backing.

But the flip?  Holy sh&t!

Pure slow blues with a very fine sounding pianist, and a bit of Davis' guitar at the end. This is like the greatest B-side I've ever heard. Wish I could post a youtube link but can't find one ...

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-6420228-1418761533-7765.jpeg.jpg

Walt Dickerson Quartet: To My Queen Revisited

Liner notes by Don DeMichael, former Down Beat editor.  He and Pete Welding, also at Down Beat, helped get me started listening to the music in the early 60's.

Don DeMichael was a great inspiration, friend and supporter when I arrived in Chicago. I miss his warm friendship.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, mjazzg said:

Discographical info here

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Leaders/FrancisAl-ldr.php

the only picture of the cover I can find is here

you can also Al Francis on this Don Ellis album, which is where I first heard him. I'm not aware of any other appearances of his

R-3592429-1390960512-7154.jpeg.jpg

Sent an email to a friend yesterday, and mentioned Don Ellis and Al Francis. Received the following today:

Your comments about D. Ellis got me wondering what ever became of Al Francis. The one time I met and played with him (and I think he was playing drums, not vibes) was 31 years ago--don't know if he's still around. A Google search turns up nothing but references to records he's on, which leads me to think he may no longer be around, or, if he is, no longer active in music.  No, wait--after I wrote this I tried Al Francis, vibes instead of vibraphone, and found this, from his LinkedIn page, writing about himself in the third person, apparently:

Dr. Alan Francis received his doctorate from Harvard University in 1976. His thesis, Picaresca, Decadencia, Historia, was published by Gredos in Spain. He was a student of Julio Rodríguez-Puértolas and Raimundo Lida, both considered to be the most distinguished Hispanists of our time. Al Francis, the jazz musician, was a student of Chas. Smith, BSO, and Jaki Byard, one the great pianists and arrangers in jazz. Alan Francis worked as a teacher in NYC public schools for 17 yrs., 8 mos., 6 days, before he retired on April Fools Day, 2005, to protest the Bloomberg holocaust of teachers and racist destablization of the public schools there. He is currently working on a book, The Upside Down Schools of capitalist education.

So it seems as if Al Francis may still be with us.
Edited by paul secor

7 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-1284176-1386072934-7331.jpeg.jpg

Johnny Dyani Quartet: Song for Biko

that's a great album

8 hours ago, paul secor said:

Sent an email to a friend yesterday, and mentioned Don Ellis and Al Francis. Received the following today:

Your comments about D. Ellis got me wondering what ever became of Al Francis. The one time I met and played with him (and I think he was playing drums, not vibes) was 31 years ago--don't know if he's still around. A Google search turns up nothing but references to records he's on, which leads me to think he may no longer be around, or, if he is, no longer active in music.  No, wait--after I wrote this I tried Al Francis, vibes instead of vibraphone, and found this, from his LinkedIn page, writing about himself in the third person, apparently:

Dr. Alan Francis received his doctorate from Harvard University in 1976. His thesis, Picaresca, Decadencia, Historia, was published by Gredos in Spain. He was a student of Julio Rodríguez-Puértolas and Raimundo Lida, both considered to be the most distinguished Hispanists of our time. Al Francis, the jazz musician, was a student of Chas. Smith, BSO, and Jaki Byard, one the great pianists and arrangers in jazz. Alan Francis worked as a teacher in NYC public schools for 17 yrs., 8 mos., 6 days, before he retired on April Fools Day, 2005, to protest the Bloomberg holocaust of teachers and racist destablization of the public schools there. He is currently working on a book, The Upside Down Schools of capitalist education.

So it seems as if Al Francis may still be with us.

Interesting, thanks for posting this