What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

Must have been quite a treat ....

One of the times  the bandstand  was so full that Hiram Bullock sat at a chair at my table.   Also I met the owners of the club who told me that the records were coming out  but I didn't hear about the "complete" set until years later. 

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

They certainly were. That was a great store - you could get literally anying there (at a price). Glory days early to mid 1990s. Sunset Boulevard Branch in LA was even better !

I don’t want to step on your memories, but both the Broadway downtown and broadway uptown locations in NYC were the king and queen of the Tower empire. Sunset was just ok in comparison. The Lincoln center one was classy, and the jazz section was amazing and vast. But the East 4th st and Broadway had the vibe you could never find in LA, or anywhere else.  I miss them both. 

Edited by Dmitry

19 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Picadilly Circus was never the same after it closed..:(

I can't imagine Picadilly Circus without it. When I visited there in the 90's, I had to go back twice to get through the whole Jazz section. I bought quite a lot of CDs that trip. The bonus was the Dunkin' Donuts across the street. :)

I was also a habitué. I used to get trips to London to visit students on work placements and there was always time for Tower! When I retired, I requested a record token as a retirement present and got one for £150. I came out of Tower groaning with the weight!

2 hours ago, BillF said:

I was also a habitué. I used to get trips to London to visit students on work placements and there was always time for Tower! When I retired, I requested a record token as a retirement present and got one for £150. I came out of Tower groaning with the weight!

:D ....

0110150.jpg

Cecil Taylor Quartet in Europe (Jazz Connoisseur). Rotterdam, November 9, 1969. I've always been slightly disappointed with the only official recording of the Taylor Quartet including Sam Rivers, issued in the US as The Great Concert of Cecil Taylor. I just found a nice copy of this bootleg of the same group six months later. On first hearing, I like it better than The Great Concert, except for the poor sound.

R-7486101-1507427190-4935.jpeg.jpg

George Wettling's Jazz Band (Columbia 10"). An altogether excellent record with two 1951 sessions - Wild Bill Davison, Ed Hall, Ralph Sutton, and Joe Sullivan are on board. I want to say that this is so good it could make believers out of folks who don't care for Dixieland, but that might be unrealistic.

And prime NHØP! I wonder whatever became of the fine drummer Norman Fearrington.

Just finishing Genesis - Wind & Wuthering and I am quite disappointed or at least strongly underwhelmed compared to old-time listenings.

Spinning now Benny Carter All Stars on Sonet (with Norvo, Parlan, Nat Adderley).